Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mediterranean Chicken with Yogurt Sauce - 3 net carbs per serving

I am almost ashamed to admit that I am no longer following a low-carbohydrate lifestyle.  However, there are many things I cook such as this that are low-carb and as such I thought I'd share it with you.

My wife and I recently moved from Lexington to Northern Kentucky, just outside of Cincinnati.  One of our favorite restaurants that we are leaving behind is called Oasis which is considered Mediterranean but is more precisely Lebanese.  Since we will no longer be able to eat there weekly, I decided to learn how to cook some of our favorite Mediterranean dishes.  This recipe is my take on the yogurt chicken which is one of my favorites from Oasis.  The aroma as it cooks is absolutely to die for. 

6 servings at about 3 net carbs per serving.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt    
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon Juice                    
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
6 boneless chicken breasts

Instructions:
Whisk together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic salt.  For marinade, put half of yogurt mixture in another bowl.  To marinade, add in cumin and chili powder then whisk.  The remaining yogurt mixture (without the cumin and chili powder) is a sauce which will be used later.

Coat chicken with marinade and let set for at least 20 minutes.

Grill chicken for about 8 or 9 minutes on each side over medium heat.  During the winter, you can grill on a "George Foreman" type grill (adjust cooking time accordingly).  I often use a cast iron grill over my stove top.

Microwave sauce for one minute so that it is at room temperature or slightly warm.  The idea here is to simply keep the sauce from being cold.

Plate chicken and spoon yogurt sauce over top.

Serving Suggestions:  If you can afford the carbs, serve over a bed of rice or moc-rice.  Garnish with parsley and chives mixed with a small amount of olive oil.  This main course goes excellent with my thintoush Mediterranean salad.

4 comments:

Lucy Jones said...

This looks wonderful, and I wonder about your 2/14 cups of Greek yogurt. Could you correct or explain, please?

Daron said...

Thanks for pointing out the type-o. It should be 2 and 1/4 cups.

Elena said...

I love the yogurt sauce. I put one spoon of sour cream, but I'll try your recipe.

Kate said...

Hi, I just started low carb and blogging, and i came across your site. What phenomenal recipes you have here! So many good ideas, which i will incorporate into my diet because i am starting to get bored!

Thanks and cheers,
Getfitkate
Getfitkatie.blogspot.com