Friday, February 12, 2010

Weight, it's not really a stall.

Today is the second Friday in a row that I weighed 315 pounds.  But, I'm not worried.  It's not really a stall.  My waist and hips are both an inch smaller than they were last week.  And, for the first time in a long while, I checked my urine with a ketosis stick.  It measured 1.5, meaning that I have small amounts of ketones in my urine.  The positive ketone reading proves that my body is indeed still burning fat. 

"What the heck is going on?", you may ask.  Obviously I am losing fat.  My lean body weight calculation says that I have gained 4 pounds of non-fat. So, I am either gaining muscle, retaining water, or have former food sitting in my digestive track.  I'd like to believe that I have gained muscle.  It is unlikely because I've had little to no exercise.  But then again, I could be gaining muscle due to increased protein intake.  However most likely, it is because I ate some salty pistachio nuts last night as a snack.  The salt is probably causing my body to hold onto water.

My advise to my readers is:  Don't trust the scale.  Measure your success in inches not pounds. 

6 comments:

Lorelei said...

It's good to see an update from you! I'm glad you can have such a positive attitude despite the scale not budging. It's good to measure success against other things besides the scale sometimes. I'm down 18 lbs as of this morning! 25 more to go...

~Lorelei
ljlogsdon.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have not lost any pounds either and can't get the inches to come off as fast as you. Suppose it is because I am a woman? I think it is harder for us to lose. I am doing the same thing you suggested except not quite as many carbs during carb down days.The only consolation I have to eating like this instead of being so restrictive is that I look forward to that one day a week cheat and I still feel better all week from not stuffing my face full of carbs!

Sally in NE said...

Love the term 'former food'... sounds so much better than 'full of s---' lol
Good luck to you!
Maybe knowing we're watching will keep you on track when tempted. :)

Jacinda said...

hi - sooo happy to have found your blog! I had lapband surgery 4 years ago - weight loss has stopped.... gained 15lbs of the 72 back...not good! I started a 14 day stint of atkins - then will switch to SouthBeach.... sort of...

Thank you again for sharing!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KetoSiska said...

It may be hard to start and get used to ketogenic nutrition, but at the end, most of the people eventually see the benefits of this diet.