Friday, February 5, 2010

Progress Report

I am happy to report that I can now play with my Wii fit without first taking off my clothing (Wii balance boards have a 330 pound weight limit).  In about a month, I have lost over twenty pounds.  For the first 3 weeks, I lost between 4 & 5 pounds per week.  During the 4th and 5th week, progress has slowed resulting in under 2 pounds lost per week.  I had hoped that having 1 carb up day per week would prevent this slow-down but it apparently hasn't.  My calculated lean body weight has dropped about one pound which means there has been no real muscle loss.  My waist and hip measurements haven't changed much in the last two weeks but I can see a big difference in my face and neck.  So, because I am making progress and have not plateaued, I will continue with my current strategy.

For those of you who are new to this blog, my current strategy is to keep meals under 15 net carbs.  Snacks under 10 net carbs and not within an hour of a meal or another snack.  The idea is not to limit daily carb intake but to avoid blood sugar spikes.  Essentially, I'm using low-carb to control my glycemic load.  Also, I am taking 1 day off of the diet per week in hopes that it will prevent my body from going into starvation/conservation mode thereby avoiding plateaus. 

1 comment:

Lorelei said...

Congrats on all your progress. I'm glad you're not getting too discouraged about the slow-down now that you're a few weeks into this. I'm still plugging away at my plan, too. I'm down 16 lbs now.

~Lorelei
http://ljlogsdon.blogspot.com