Sunday, January 10, 2010

Today is a "Carb Up" Day

I have lost 12 pounds in a little over a week.  Today is my first "carb-up" day.  My strategy of including "carb-up" days is very contraversial.  Most of my readers don't think "carb-up" days are helpful.  But by occasionally increasing carb intake, I am attempting to keep my metabolism from adjusting to the low-carb diet.  I am taking 4 days off each month, typically 1 day per week.  It was hard to take myself off the low-carb today as I've been on a great ketosis streak and have had few cravings for carby foods.  But I do believe that it is good to break the rapid weight loss streak as it should help sustain weight loss and avoid plataues over the long run.  Also, having floating "carb-up" days as part of my official plan allows me to eat the foods I am craving without feeling like a failure.  So, today I had pizza for lunch... one of my favorite foods and I have no reason to feel guilty.  It's all part of the weight loss strategy.  Tomorrow, I'm back to low-carb with only 3 more "carb-up" days available this month.  It will take me 2-3 days to get back into ketosis which is where the pounds fall off very quickly.  But it's worth it to protect my metabolism and to allow me to feel "normal" once in a while. 

5 comments:

Lorelei said...

Congrats on the 12 lbs! I've lost 4. I used to do Body for Life and they suggest a day off (or at least a meal off) once a week for the same reasons you gave. I think it's a good idea, as it shocks your body. My problem was that free meal/free day turned into a free weekend and then a free week and then the diet was gone.

soanywaytoday said...

Congrats on the weight loss. I have not weighed myself since last week but my clothes and shoes are feeling much better on me. Most importantly my energy is up - don't mind treking up and down our stairs (and beleive me we have lots of stairs at our house!)

Sunday is our day to eat out after church... we tried a new resturant and I carbed up since we did the brunch... Did not go too crazy, in anything I overinduldged on the fresh strawberries they had. That was my only meal except for a snack at night and I am not craving anything this morning so hopefully will be able to get back in ketosis pretty quickly as I have been able to in the past.

Have a great week.

Staci said...

How did you discover this blog thing? I started my journey yesterday at 318! Yikes! Have enjoyed reading your posts. Staci

Bryan said...

Daron...I have done a similar thing on my low-car diet, which I call "Free Food Friday's." I basically still have a shake breakfast, but will eat out for either lunch or dinner, and cook for the other meal whatever sounds good. I do it more for the mental side of things, but as it turns out, I've still been able to lose weight each week and have kept at my diet for longer. I think having that food sometimes has not only kept cravings down, but has also kept my portion sizes down when I do so. I admittedly had holiday dinners and snacks that were around, but made it out of the season only up 2.5 lbs, and have just taken off 7 this last week. Keep up the effort and good luck!

Keri-Ann said...

Hey there! Nice blog! I too am a low-carber for life! I'm also realizing that the once in a while "carb-shock" is ok to do too. Friday night I allowed my husband to order pizza and I ate it too - it was thin crust and not thick - but it was yummmmy. And 2 mich ultras - and this morning - after going right back to my normal low-carb eating and exercise sat/yesterday I'm dpown 2 pounds. So yes "shocking" the body every once in a while is ok to do! :)
Good luck!