Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 5

It is the 5th day of the year and also the 5th day into my low-carb adventure.  I'm in Nashville, Tennessee this week.  For lunch yesterday, I at a Chili Relleno and Juevos con Chorizo (Eggs with Chorizo sausage) at a restaraunt called Las Palmas.  For dinner we went to the Long Horn steakhouse where I had a salad, sauteed mushrooms, and grilled Salmon.  Today, for breakfast, I choked down Drury Hotel scrambled eggs & sausage patties (tastes like it must contain lots of soy).  It's almost lunch time and I think we're going out for buffalo wings.  For snacking, I bought a 6 oz. can of Blue Diamond brand Bold Jalapeno Smokehouse Almonds which taste awesome.  Everything is going great except that I woke up yesterday with ketosis breath.  I had forgotten about this nasty side effect of rapid weight loss.  I know the bad breath can be improved by drinking lots of water to flush out ketones.  Regardless, I still bought a pack of sugar free chewing gum. 

7 comments:

anne h said...

Yay SF gum!
I like "ice cubes" brand. They last along time. 20 g of carb for the whole pack. If I'm not careful, I'll chew the pack in a day! Thank goodness I'm not zero carb or I'd be in trouble!

~Oct said...

congrats on the awesome restart D :D

Star said...

Congrats! You are doing great! I happen to love the sweet cinnamon Stride gum, it is the only one I can find sweetened with Splenda and not aspartame.

Shanygne said...

It's good to see you back on track... I made a recipe tonight that my family loves and you might want to try... brown ground turkey an season it the way yo ulike, add a large can of tomoato puree and a small can of tomoato paste, add some spices like garlic salt, oregano, pepper... in a bowl mix one large container of ricotta, two eggs, some chopped (fresh) baby spinach, and some spices - oregano, parsley, pepper, garlic salt... put tomatao/turkey mixture on bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, then put large spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture on top... bake for about 35 minutes and serve! you could make a slice of garlic toast, but I skip that. It's called polka dot lasagna. hope you try it!

Lorelei said...

Sounds like you're going great! Congrats on the fantastic start. When I originally lost my weight, I was chewing at least two entire packs of s/f gum per day. My jaw was so sore, and my stomach would get upset regularly from the sugar alcohols. I loved that gum, though! I hate how these days all gum is mint. I'd like to see more fruit flavors (not mixed with mint). "Strawberry Mint" sounds disgusting to me. Why would you mix mint with that???

Disconnected Diva said...

Good for you on the bad breath ! There is only ONE reason that is good enough to have bad breath ... that reason rocks. I am proud of you !

Daron said...

Shanygn, sounds good... like lasagna without the noodles.

Everyone else, thanks for the comments.... Does chewing gum make you crave less foods? I've never chewed much gum in the past.