Sunday, December 13, 2009

New Year Resolutions

I hear many people say that they don't make New Year's resolutions simply because so many people half heartedly do so and fail.  Well, I can tell you that my first successful attempt to lose weight was begun at the start of a new Year.  This was about 10 years ago when I lost 65 pounds doing low carb.  This was well before I started this blog in 2006.  But why wait until January 1st?  Well, at least the temptations of the holidays will be behind me.  And, the new year symbolizes new beginnings.  Who could ask for a better time to start than a new year? 

I'm beginning to feel fat again.  I've gained back most of what I lost in 2006 and 2007.  I can blame a lot of things.  But really I should just blame myself.  Yes, it's hard to avoid temptations.  But, I really need to treat my weight problem as what it is, a medical problem requiring a special diet.  There is little difference between my obesity and a diabetes.  Carbs can a fat man just as it can kill a diabetic.  Both ailments are a slow death that affects the body in many ways.    I can only hope that my New Year's resolution isn't just another means to delay the inevitable.  But I like the symbolism of a new beginning at the start of a new year.  So, I'm going to announce my resolution early.  I will get back into shape and live a long life, participating in the lives of my children and future grandchildren.

This blog proved invaluable to me in my weight loss of 2006-2007.  It brought me in touch with many good people who gave me support and great ideas.  And so, once again, I will be sharing my progress and my recipes on line.  Wish me luck.  I'm shooting for a 100 pound weight loss this time.  And I plan to keep it off.

6 comments:

Amy Dungan said...

You can do it! And we will all be here to support you!

Star said...

Hi! You can do it! I am also struggling through and finding my way, stumbling and walking again just like my daughter who is learning to walk. I have started blogging again and maybe one of my recent posts might speak to you. Bst wishes and happy holidays! Keep going always!!
http://lowcarbdiabeticjourney.blogspot.com/2009/11/duh-moment-again.html

austin said...

You can do this! You don't really need luck. But, we will be here to support you in your quest!

I started a low carb a week ago yesterday. I did it to lose weight, but ended up with a lot less pain from arthritis. Who knew? I contribute it directly to not eating any bread/grains in the past week. But, I digress. I checked out the recipes on your blog over the weekend. Thank you, they have helped a lot with figuring out menus.

keleigh austin

Amy said...

I have faith you can do it. I have been reading your blog for years and find your life inspiring (I also love your recipes). Know that you are not alone in your struggles!
Amy

Niki said...

I'm with you!!! Nice to see you again =D
I'm here if you need anything...anytime!
Sending love and peace to you <3
~Niki a.k.a. Oh.2.B.Fit

Mary said...

Will be following your progress. It will be mine as well. I am shooting for the same goal as you--100 pounds.

It's gonna be a one day at a time thing--but together we can support one another!