Monday, June 29, 2009

A call for yellow squash recipes

Regarding gardening, it's not too late to get one started! And, it doesn't really take up that much space. My garden is only 10x16 feet and contains yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and parsley. Many people even grow veggies in flower pots on apartment balconies. Fresh veggies from a garden blow away those you buy at the grocery store. Garden veggies are not just fresher but tend to also have much better flavor than store bought.

Like every year, I have planted a small garden with every inch jam packed with veggies. And, like always, I try to plant at least one thing that I've never tried to grow before. This year's experimental veggie is two small mounds of yellow squash. Today, I went to check my garden and picked an entire grocery bag full of yellow squash. It looks like the squash is going to grow fast and produce much more than I could possibly eat. Yellow squash is very low in net carbohydrates. If any of you have good uses for it or would mind sharing recipes, please post comments and share with us!

5 comments:

Fat Bastard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RECkate said...

Hi Daron! Yellow squash is one of my favorite low carb veggies. I grow them in my garden as well. I like to chop them up (imagine the size of 4 dice put together), saute with a little coconut oil, italian spices, some Parmesan cheese (from the can thing), a little garlic and a 1/2 T of dried onion (those come in a can thing, too). I saute them until they get soft--it creates a wonderful aroma. Oh, and I do this in a pan with the lid on.

Kelly said...

I love to slice my yellow squash with a valdaia onion and fry it up in a little olive oil, salt and pepper.

B said...

I like to fix squash like Kelly does, but I sprinkle a little splenda over it and stir just before serving. Back in the day, my grandmother would've used sugar. Yum! Y'all come eat!

Enjah said...

Sorry this is so long in coming. I love this recipe.

Frittata for One (adapted from Joy of Cooking):
1 Tbsp each olive oil and butter
1/2 zucchini or summer squash, thinly sliced
2-3 Tbsps onion, thinly sliced
2-3 eggs, well beaten
2-3 Tbsps Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 tsp dried basil (or 1 tsp. fresh, chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste

In an oven-proof pan, saute the slices of squash with the onions in the oil/butter over medium heat, till the squash slices are soft and browning a tad. The onions will get brown faster.

Take the pan off the stove and let it cool for a couple of minutes while you beat the eggs. Add the basil and cheese. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, and return to the heat. Lift edges of egg as it gets firm, letting the liquid egg run under the edges.

When the surface is mostly firm, run under broiler for 30 seconds - 1 minute.