Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Progress Slows... Taking breaks when sick...

My initial method this time was: Keep each meal to less than 15 net carbs with snacks of under 15 net carbs no closer than one hour to a meal or another snack. It resulted in a quick 30 pound loss followed by a plateau. I know that your body can not easily store fat if there is a shortage of carbohydrates, regardless of calorie intake. Some people claim that you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. There may be some truth in this however, I didn't have a deficit during the initial weight loss yet it still worked. But, alas, my body has apparently adapted and as usual, weight loss slows to a crawl. I'm sure that I can lose more weight but I have accepted that it will likely be a long drawn out time period. It's so frustrating how easy we can gain weight when it is so hard to take off!

I had planned on taking Valentines day off of the diet... And come V-Day, I came down with a really bad cold. I've been fighting it for the last 4 days. During this time, I thought it might be wise to ease off the low-carb diet so that my body would be sure to get adequate nutrients, calories, and vitamins to fight off the cold. I'm feeling somewhat better today... if I'm 90% tomorrow, I go back onto the low-carb diet. Either way, I should be back in the swing of things this coming weekend...

2 comments:

Enjah said...

hi Big Daddy, I have been on and off low-carb diets for many years, and if it is done well, it can be a very healthy diet (in other words, as your mother said, eat your vegetables!).

I have found over the years that my tolerance for carbohydrates has decreased, so I have to be very strict with myself to lose weight.

Also, most artificial sweeteners have a high GI. Not Stevia Plus, though, it is ZERO GI, and I like the taste.

Daron said...

Thanks for the comments Enjah. I agree about the glacemic index on many sweeteners. This comes mostly from the Maltodextrin that is a filler and what makes things like Splenda measure the same as sugar. While the GI may be high, the calories are still low so the glacemic load is still fairly low. Regardless, it can add up if you are eating sweet deserts. This is why I use mostly Sweetzfree and Splenda Quik Packs Sweetzfree is concentrated liquid sucralose which I have to buy online. The Splenda quik packs don't have the matodextrin of normal Splenda... these are usually found in the koolaide section at the grocery). As for Stevia Plus, I've never tried it... but most forms of Stevia that I have tried are a little on the bitter side for my tastes. I even grew Stevia in my garden last summer... but never found many good uses for it, especially fresh.