Sunday, January 18, 2009

What I'm doing now...

Just a quick FYI.... I've lost about 30 pounds and 4 inches around my waist since Thanksgiving (about 2 months). My "fat" clothes are once again too loose and I need to break out my box of skinny clothes again.

Here's what I'm doing: I'm not strictly following anyone else's program. I'm no longer looking at total carbs per day. Instead I'm just trying to keep each meal to less than 15 net carbs with snacks of under 15 net carbs no closer than one hour to a meal or another snack. Essentially I'm trying to avoid insulin spikes that cause the body to store fat. To my surprise, this has allowed me to stay in ketosis most of the time. I used to think that if I went over a total of 45 net carbs in a day that I'd quit losing weight. But now I'm finding that I can go higher as long as I spread it out.

As for vitamins, this time, I'm not taking lots of expensive vitamins. The only ones I am taking are potassium and chromium.

Also, I'm planning to take 2 days off of the diet per month. This allowed for me to partake in my brother's family's traditional Bulgarian Christmas Eve vegetarian dinner. I'm off again this weekend and enjoyed a smoothie made with frozen plums that I picked from my own back yard last summer. It seems that I crave fruits more than junk food. The re-feeds I think are good to replenish vitamins & muscle glycogen stores as well as to prevent my metabolism from slowing.

So far, this strategy has been working well.

5 comments:

Oct said...

Holy cow, you are doing awesome! What an inspiration. How did you come up with 15 carbs max per meal? I wonder how many per meal I could get away with myself. Maybe half that? Looking forward to finding out more about your strategy. So very cool.

sweetbabies00 said...

I have a shake with berries, flax seed oil and whey protein for breakfast and it works wonderfully.

Carolyn of Carolyn's Creations said...

Your recipes look wonderful. I'll be trying them soon. Thanks for what you are doing.

harry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daron said...

An update... worked great the first two months and then I plateaued. I knew it had to be too good to be true.