Saturday, December 20, 2008

Eggnog - 8 net carbs per serving

The holiday season is here. One of my family's traditions was always to have eggnog on Christmas Eve. I mixed up a batch last night to try my hand at making a low-carb version. I must say that I like it as much as the high-carb version.

5 servings @ 8 net carbs each.

Ingredients:
4 cups Hood Calorie Countdown Dairy Beverage
1 cup heavy whipping cream (not whipped)
1 cup equivalent to sugar (I used 1/4 t. Sweetzfree)
7 large egg yokes
1 T. vanilla
Nutmeg (optional)

Instructions:
Add all ingredients to saucepan on medium high. Whisk (or use beaters) while cooking, making sure to keep it moving so as to not scorch the bottom for 7 to 10 minutes until thickened. To see if it is done, insert a spoon and if a thin film sticks to the spoon, it is ready. Remove from heat and continue whisking occasionally as it cools. Then chill in refrigerator for 8 hours or more. If desired, after cooling, add alcohol. Serve with a little nutmeg sprinkled on top.

4 comments:

Hi, I'm Oct. This is my record of LowCarb-induced weight loss. said...

yum! Thank you for posting this for us ... I must get some Sweetzfree soon, and I know just where to get the HoodCC so I'll be set. What type of alcohol do people normally use in eggnog. Rum?

Daron said...

Typically rum & bourban.

frankie said...

where can I get Hoodcc????

Daron said...

You can find Hood Calorie Countdown in many grocery stores dairy department. It's usually somewhere around the milk along side all the lactose intollerent stuff.