Friday, February 15, 2008

Still off of the Band Wagon, in Paris Again

I'm in Paris again this week and next. I've been ill the last couple of days. I slept for nearly 18 hours last night, skipping work today. I hope I'm better tomorrow as I'd hate to be ill on the weekend. I've started a travel blog (thepangeaproject.blogspot.com) if anyone is interested. If I make it downtown this weekend, I'll post some more pictures.

I'm still off of the band wagon. Last time I was in Paris, I walked so much that I lost a few pounds even while eating poorly. I'd hoped to do the same this time. In the 3 weeks between trips however, I gained back those three pounds and then some. This while walking 2 to 4 miles per day. I just don't think 2 to 4 miles compares to what I must be walking in Europe. I brought a pedometer this time but keep forgetting to wear it.

And, to my disappointment, I've got a swollen spot now where a stretch mark is growing again! How the heck can my skin be stretching so soon after shedding 85 pounds. I feel like my skin is loose, it shouldn't be growing new stretch marks even if I put back on a few pounds. Oh well. Maybe this will open my eyes and get me motivated again. But, I can think of 1000 reasons not to go back on the diet (er lifestyle?). Top of the list is that I'm taking my wife on a Caribbean cruise at the end of March. She's thinking about dieting to look better at the beach and I'm thinking about not dieting as I'd be too tempted to break it when they offer me an all you can eat midnight buffet. Am I terrible or what?

I have a year plus of being loyal to the low carb lifestyle. I've come up with some exceptional recipes. I've found that low carb while dining in France is do-able. But, now that I no longer feel aches and pains in my body I find it so hard to get back on plan. The goal was to be healthier not to be skinny. But if I don't get back on plan, I risk sliding...

5 comments:

Amy said...

I understand, getting back on the low carb diet is hard. Really hard. But if you don't, your body will suffer. I hope you get feeling better and have fun on your cruise!

Gina said...

Hi - I wish you luck getting back to low carb! I'll miss all the help your site provides, she wrote selfishly. another helpful lc blog is written by pj and here is a posting of hers that i found inspiring; hope you do also:

http://thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.com/2006/09/opportunity-knocks-four-part-saga.html

Have a great time in Paris! ...but not to the point that you one day regret Paris; that would be sad. Thanks for the inspiration you have been and the recipes you share!

skye said...

hey, man: great job! 85 pounds is amazing. But, looking at your recipes, I can see why you're slipping. All of your foods are still convenience/mass produced/industrial. You have "low carb" recipes which are just trying to reinvent carb dishes- mock fettucine! no wonder you crave pastas etc. The real trick is to get in to eating real, farm grown, authentic foods. I promise you, once you start eating raw milk cheeses, gorgeous farm vegetables, and grass-fed meats, you won't even be tempted to eat junk. Remember, if you are eating tons and tons of factory farmed meat, you are essentially just eating what those animals ate: that "fatten-up" food pyramid, as your astute friend said. look at the book "nourishing traditions". don't just look at it, read EVERY page. do it for your son, man. it's not low-carb, but it will save your life, and make his a lot better.

courtney said...

Hope you can get back on the plan! I have been doing it for 6 weeks and lost 16 pounds, but Fell off the wagon a couple of days ago...I am getting back on the horse tomorrow. I understand about vacation! I am headed to the caribbean for almost 2 weeks in March too! So I know how hard it is! Although its easier if you try going to the dining room instead of the buffet for meals, as the portions are much more controlled! Good luck! Hope you can find your way back, you are an inspiration and I love your recipes!

Anonymous said...

I have found it much easier to stay low carb after all the information coming out about alzheimers and Parkinsons. Sugar Shock on her Jan. 2008 radio blog had Pediatric Neurosurgeon Dr. Larry McCleary on. Title of show "Glucose shrinks, withers & atrophies your brain" Every time I want to fall off the wagon I tell myself it just is not worth it! Good Luck! Patty