Monday, October 1, 2007

Pancakes - 1.75 net carbs ea.

My wife and I experimented with pancakes this weekend. On Saturday, we tried Niki's "Oh.2.B.Fit" flax pancake recipe (click here). They tasted awesome but were a bit more like a crape in that they weren't very fluffy. Sunday morning, I read through a few different recipe books trying to figure out how to make pancakes and I came up with my own hybrid recipe. While Niki's taste a little bit better, my version had the pancake texture that we expect. The recipe follows.

These high protein, low carb, fluffy, melt-in-your mouth pancakes aren't much more difficult to make than using a commercial high carb mix. The entire recipe has only 21 net carbs and produces 12 pancakes at 1.75 net carbs each. If topping with sugar free syrup, be sure to add those carbs. Note that most sugar free pancake syrups often contain sugar alcohols. I suggest counting 1/2 of the carbs from sugar alcohols regardless if the front of the bottle says zero net carbs.

Ingredients:

8 oz. package cream cheese
4 eggs
1/2 c. soy protein powder (plain)
2 t. baking powder
4 T. oil
1/3 c. equiv. to sugar*
1/2 c. cottage cheese
dash of cinnamon


Instructions:

Preheat griddle to 300 degrees or pre-heat skillet. Nuke cream cheese on high for 1 minute to soften. Whisk until smooth. Add all other ingredients and whisk until well blended. The cottage cheese lumps will go away when cooked. Add a little oil, butter, or cooking spray to cooking surface. Pour 1/3 c. of batter per pancake. Cook on first side until tiny air bubbles pop leaving small holes in their place or as edges begin to show a hint of dryness. Then, flip and cook until other side is done.

*I used sweetzfree that has no carbs. If using granular splenda, add 8 net carbs to the entire recipe.

3 comments:

anne h said...

How in the world have I missed you all this time?
Can't wait to catch up with your recipes!

Matt Anderson said...

I would've never imagined that the combo of these ingredients can make an actual "pancake". I'm really anxious to try it out and am hoping for good results as I do miss having fluffy pancakes. I've had nothing but bad luck with the Carbquik pancake recipes, which typically turn out like very thin crepes and the Carbquik batter never seems to cook all the way through for me...

I'm extremely pleased to have come across your blog and recipes! With my Type II Diabetes and Congestive Heart Failure it has been hard work finding "good" low-carb and low-sodium recipes. I'll be following you here and will be trying most, if not all of your posted recipes!

Thanks,
Matt

Low Carb Daily said...

This is my favorite pancake recipe... Thanks!!