Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Nutrition Label on "Diet" Orange Crush

I am sitting at my desk, on a business conference call... I pop open a can of diet orange crush. Mmmm, it tastes pretty good. I had not yet tried this particular diet beverage. As my mind wonders away from the conference call, I turn my can and begin reading the label. Crap! Total carbs = 5. I then scan the ingredients. Number two on the ingredients list is "high fructose corn syrup". How in the heck did a "diet" beverage end up with HFCS? I have become so accustomed to picking up diet drinks under the assumption that they were sugar-free. I should have taken the time to read the label at the grocery store.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happened to me today. It really was a shocker. I thought about sending them a note asking why this was the case and how dangerous it is the way diet = no calories in the soda world, but I doubt it would change anything.

lifesart said...

This happened to me when my husband bought it (he never reads labels! ;)) as a substitute for Tropicana Twister diet Orange, which Pepsi seems to have stopped making. Now there is only Crush to be found, which has HFCS, or Sunkist, which has caffeine. How stupid is Pepsi!

Daron said...

Hi LIfestart...

I found a really good diet orage soda sweetened with Splenda. It's by soda club. Unfortunately you can't buy it a store pre-made. It's a syrup used to make your own. See the soda club links on my web page. It requires an initial investment but is overall cheaper than buying pop pre-bottled.