Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cooking Low Carb Comfort Foods

Last night, I was in a cooking mood. I made my favorite, Cinnamon Flax Muffins (2.5 net carbs). Having some of these on hand really helps satisfy cravings for starchy snack-cakes. If you haven't tried them, you don't know what you are missing.

I also tried a new way to make hamburger buns. We used a recipe from cleochatra of cleotratra.blogspot.com. She calls them Atkins Revolution Rolls. She says that she got it from www.low-carb-diet-recipes.com. Due to the name, I doubt that the latter is the original source either. I will make another post with my version of the recipe. It's mostly egg-whites and is extremely light and fluffy. When eating them, my wife made two comments... the first comment was that if we added sweetener, it would make a good strawberry shortcake base... and second, that they were kind of like ladyfingers.

Hmmm, I thought... ladyfingers are used in tiramisu. I then broke out a few cookbooks, looking at lady finger and tiramisu recipes. Sure enough, the recipe is surprisingly similar to ladyfingers. As for the tiramisu, I am not sure if I can make a custard without sugar. But, I found one recipe that calls for instant pudding instead of custard. This substitution also cuts down substantially on the prep time. The custard (or pudding) is then mixed with whipping cream and cheese. Layers are created with a sprinkling of instant coffee, etc. I have written up my version of low-carb tiramisu on paper. As soon as I have a little time to experiment, I'm going to give it a shot. My gut tells me that it will be superb! If it is as good as I think, I will post the recipe here. So, keep an eye on my site for my low carb tiramisu!

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Why do you need sugar for a custard?

You could make an egg custard with sweetener. We have a few, some of the girls have made one by Jamie Oliver which is good. Let me know if you need the recipe.

collybarn said...

I cannot wait for your low carb tiramisu recipe! Please try it and let us know!! Tiramisu is my all-time favorite desert!-Colleen

Anonymous said...

I also can't wait for your low carb tiramisu recipe. It is my favorite and it would be wonderful to eat it again. Please post the recipe soon.