Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lemon Birthday Cake - 7 net carbs

Today is my birthday. My wife made this awesome low-carb lemon cake. The frosting is light and fluffy. The cake tastes great and is similar to a pound cake in texture. I can't believe I stuck with my diet and still was able to eat birthday cake!

10 Servings at 7 net carbs each.


Cake Ingredients (47.7 net carbs):

2 sticks butter
5 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar equiv. *
1 T. vanilla extract
1 t. lemon extract
2 c. soy flour
4 t. baking powder
1 c. Hood Calorie Countdown Dairy **
1/4 c. vegitable oil
4 T lemon juice


Cake Instructions:

  1. Extract 4 T. lemon juice for batter.
  2. Beat butter. Add eggs and splenda. Beat in remaining ingredients.
  3. Coat cake or loaf pan in cooking spray.
  4. Add batter to 2 nine inch cake pans.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.




Frosting Ingredients
(21.3 net carbs):

8 oz. cream cheese
1 t. lemon extract
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. sugar equivelent.***






Frosting Instructions:

  1. This frosting is easiest to make if you have a whisk attachment for your mixer. Whisk softened cream cheese until light and creamy.
  2. Add lemon zest, heavy whipping cream, and sweetener and whisk until light, fluffy, and thick.
  3. Once cake is completely cool, spread frosting.

*She used 36 drops of Sweetzfree. If you use a splenda quick pack, add 4 carbs to the entire recipe. If you use 1 cup of granular splenda, add 24 carbs.

**If substituting half and half, add 7 carbs.

***She used 24 drops of sweetzfree. If you use a splenda quickpack, add 4 carbs to the entire recipe. If you use 1 cup of granular splenda, add 24 carbs.

9 comments:

Jason said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Sparky's Girl said...

I'm late, but happy birthday! That cake looks awesome!!

DietKing2 said...

I'm even more late, and a happy belated birthday to you, man!
That cake sure looked good...just got coconut flour with my shipment from netrition--I'm thinking it might taste better than soy flour for cakes--I cannot stand soy flour..yick!
Adam

Big Daddy D said...

You know, Diet King, I had given up on soy flour because I didn't like the taste. But this recipe really works. I think the lemon successfully masks the soy.

As for coconut flour. This ingredient has tons of potential. But, it is difficult to work with. Many of my experiements with coconut flour have been failures. The result is either too dry or too gritty. I tried mixing it with flax which tends to be too moist. The result was rubber muffins. Unless I find a better use for coconut flour than 3 minute microwave cakes, I probably won't buy more.

Let me know how coconut flour works for you. Like I said, it has potential. There's not many people experimenting with it.

DietKing2 said...

Big Daddy.
I'm hoping I can mix the coconut flour with some good spices and perhaps slap it all over some pork chops; I'm missing my 'Shake N' Bake' style chops, if you know what I mean. Ah, the hopes I have, the thoughts that won't go away--my always hungry head;-)
I also got this jar (netrition again) of Jok'N Al apple sauce with Splenda--so the stage is set for pork chop night!! Heh heh
Have a great weekend.
Adam

Ginni Dee said...

Happy Birthday a couple days late...sorry I'm late but I was too busy celebrating MY birthday on Sept. 12th!!! Wow, both of us born on Sept. 12th, both of us dieting...what are the odds? LOL

Hope it was as good as mine was!!! :)

Ginni

P.S. Your cake looked divine!!

Oh.2.B.Fit said...

I'm a little late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
And can you let ur wife know my Birthday is January 17th :D LMAO!!! I want one of those cakes!!! :)

fighting diabetes said...

this ones really delicious! It looks really fluffy! thanks for sharing this one out. Ived been looking for sugar free desserts that me and my family would love to enjoy! Your post greatly helps a lot!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this sharing this recepie!!! Love lemon with cream cheese frosting. Awesome combo!