After a year of experimenting with low carb cooking, I have come to realize that my wife and I are both getting pretty good at determining what will work and what won't. The result is better and better food all of the time. This might be one of my new favorite low carb meals.
We made chicken enchiladas. In place of corn tortillas, we used low carb crepes. And, they turned out fabulous! The entire recipe has 22.8 net carbs and makes 8 enchiladas. That is 3.7 net carbs per enchilada.
When we initially cooked these, I had thought that it was only 2 carbs per enchilada. But, when looking up the ingredients, I found quite a few "hidden" carbs in the the eggs, baking powder, and cheese. These are not ingredients that you typically think of as having carbs. But, they do add up.
We served our enchiladas with gensoy tortilla chips (5 net carbs for 10 chips) and Baja Bob's sugar-free zero carb margaritas. Fiesta time!
Makes 8 enchiladas at 3.7 net carbs each.
"Tortilla" shell ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 T. water
4 oz. cream cheese (nuke 1 min. to soften)
3 T. soy protein powder (plain)
1/2 t. baking powder
Butter for pan.
"Tortilla" shell instructions:
- Whisk the eggs and water by hand. Add cream cheese. Whisk. It may have little clumps, this is okay. Add soy protein powder and baking powder. Whisk until well blended. Using an electric mixer or over whisking may produce foam that is undesirable.
- Heat skillet on medium low setting. Add butter and swirl around until melted and coating the pan evenly.
- Each "tortilla" consists of 3 T. of batter. Pour into pan in a spiral motion, starting from the middle, working your way out. The entire "tortilla" should be 8 inches in diameter.
- Cook until edges start looking dry and "tortilla" is firm enough to flip. Cook on other side for a few seconds then remove from pan.
- Repeat steps 3 to 4 until all batter is used up.
8 "tortilla" shells (see above)
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
13 oz. can chicken
10 oz. can enchalada sauce
4.5 oz. can green chilis
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In bowl, combine 1 cup of cheese, chicken, 1/2 of enchilada sauce, and green chillies.
- Wrap 1/8 of filling into each "tortilla". and place in casserole dish. Be sure to place the overlapping edges face down.
- Spread remaining enchilada sauce evenly over top.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of cheese.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.