Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sugar Alcohols

Vickie at Kickin' Carb Clutter has recently made a great post regarding sugar alcohols (click here to read her post).

I haven't discussed this topic here in quite some time. I often see people doing low-carb diets who are eating thes "low carb" products unaware that the sugar alcohols will sabatage their diets. They see 0 or 1 net carbs and think that they can eat as much as they want.

You'll find that most products advertised as low carb will boast the "net carbs" on the front of the package. This is very misleading as they typically subtract sugar alcohols from the total carbs. Sugar alcohols are partially metabolized by the body. Therefore, you should not subtract all sugar alcohols all from your net carb count. A good rule of thumb is to calculate net carbs by subtracting fiber and only 1/2 of the sugar alcohols. Regardless of the government's stance on sugar alcohols, advertising these products with a very low net carb is deceptive and bordering on fraud. And, it could be life threatening to those with diabetes.

Typically low carb ice creams boast about 3 net carbs per serving, but I usually count them as 5 or 6 net carbs due to the sugar alcohols. Candy boasting 1 net carb, I often count as 3 to 5 net carbs. Don't let the package fool you! Always do your own calculations!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of sugar-free ice cream...

I just made my own & while it was higher carb than I really wanted, I think that I can reduce it a little.

http://bootstrap.net/wp/?p=58