Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Peanut Butter Mousse - 7.2 net carbs per serving

Saturday, during a carb-up day, my wife brought home a peanut butter dessert from Logan's Steakhouse. I thought it tasted pretty good and that I could possibly make a low-carb version. My version turned out soooo good! This goes together in just a few minutes and it can be made ahead of time. The entire recipe without optional ingredients (not counting sweetener) is 28.9 net carbs (also called ecc) or 7.2 net carbs per serving. As a bonus, it is high in protein. Without optional ingredients, there are 39.3 grams of protein or almost 10 grams per serving.

Makes 4 servings @ 7.2 net carbs per serving.

Ingredients: (total 28.9 ecc, 39.3 protein)

1 1/2 c. heavy cream (10 ecc, 7 protein)
equiv. to 1 c. sugar *
1 t. vanilla (0.5 ecc, 0 protein)
1/2 c. peanut butter (18 ecc, 32 protein)
8 T. Plain whipped cream (0.4 ecc, 0.3 protein)

Optional Ingredients: (total 5 ecc, 3 protein)

4 T. roasted peanuts (add 5 ecc, 3 protein)
Walden Farm's Zero carb Chocolate Syrup

*I used 1/4 t. of Sweetzfree (0 carb, concentrated sucralose). Be sure to add the carbs if using other sweeteners. I suggest a Splenda quick pack which adds 4 net carbs (1 net carb per serving).

Instructions:
.
Put peanut butter in mixing bowl and whisk/beat until light and smooth. Add heavy cream, sweetener, and vanilla. Whisk/beat until light and stiff. Do not over whip. I have a whisk attachment on my Kitchen-aide mixer. You can use beaters but a whisk attachment will make it whip up in seconds as opposed to minutes. If desired, add 1 T. peanuts and chocolate syrup to each dessert dish. Next, spoon peanut butter mousse into dishes. This can be served now or refrigerated up to 24 hours. Top with plain whipped cream when ready to serve. Enjoy.

1 comment:

The Bionic Broad said...

You weren't kidding about seconds. One moment, it was "mousse-ey," and the next, a gelatinous blob. Next time, I'll read your directions better before starting out.I threw the mess into my ice-cream maker, and managed to salvage the dessert. I'm enjoying your recipes, by the way. All of them that I've tried have been excellent. I appreciate you posting them.