Tuesday, August 21, 2007

How did I get to be more than 100 pounds overweight?

I have been dieting for over a year now. During this time, I have experienced substantial weight loss. As I near my goal, I am contemplating maintenance plans. To figure out what maintenance plan would work best for me, I thought that I should ask myself, "How did I get more than 100 pounds overweight?" I think that I need to answer this question in order to insure that it doesn't happen again.

  1. Ballooned in 2005 and 2006 due to eating large dinners after 8:30 PM and then going directly to my hotel to sleep.
  2. Used vending machine snacks to boost energy during work day. The fatter I became, the more I needed sugar and starches to wake me up.
  3. Moved away from diet soda and started drinking regular Coke and Pepsi.
  4. Lunches usually came from fast food restaurants. French fries and sandwich buns became a staple in my diet.
  5. Had pizza for dinner more than once a week. Leftovers usually became breakfast.
  6. Had bread or pasta with just about every meal.
  7. Love to cook desserts and cookies. Loved eating them even more. The more sweets I ate, the more I craved.
  8. Often ordered dessert following dinner.
  9. Periods of depression did not necessarily result in eating heavier but definitely caused my metabolism to slow down.
  10. Especially on weekdays, I had little to no exercise (still true).

5 comments:

Sparky's Girl said...

Great Post! This is definately something we all need to think about as we near our goals. The last thing I want is to put it all back on. I'm linking to this on my blog!

OnlineChristian said...

Excellent post. No doubt thinking about how you will be successful requires introspective on how you were less than successful. I want to work this whole excercise for myself.

I am about to hit 100 lbs lost sometime soon, but I still have major amounts to lose yet - probably another hundred or more. I don't consider the ~100 lbs down a simple measure of how successful I am, but of how unsuccessful I was in the past to get so awfully overweight.

Kudos on having the strength, courage, and honest sincerity to look yourself in the mirror (so to speak) and think this through. Much success in your future!!!

Haole Fats said...

I spent ten years as a Road Warrior too for a litigation support firm and easily packed on 100 pounds during that time. Same bad habits. Eating late, little to no exercise, lots of stress, no real food, and then there were the beer-a-thons at many wonderful pubs across our fair land. "Work hard, play hard" was how we looked at it. I think it was more accurate to say, "Work Hard, Die Young". The only time I had any kind of weight control was when I worked a contract for a couple of years at a Naval Supply base where we were allowed to use the gym. As a team we all went after work ... prior to eating out and slamming a few brews before bed. We all gotta learn from our mistakes. Take Care Big Daddy!

DietKing2 said...

Big Daddy,
Enjoyed your post and am enjoying your blog. Sounds like you're in the process of arming yourself for real life with those reminders/tips of how things unraveled for you in the beginning. I'm in the process of doing the same thing (we both have a love for the same delicious poisons, I notice LOL) and I'm trying to get used to the idea that I can't go back to what I was doing prior to discovering the low carbohydrate way of life.
I think you're going to do just fine--the fact that you're creating a physical awareness by writing this down is an awesome task.
Keep it up!
Sincerely,
Adam

Jimmy Moore said...

BDD, you speak truth which makes you all the more credible with everything else you say. This is a powerful reminder for those of us who have overcome our obesity just how far we have come and an admirable goal for those still struggling to strive for.

You keep at it and NEVER GIVE UP! This is the most important thing obese people could ever do for themselves and our very future hinges on our commitment to not just talking about doing it, but DOING IT! I'm very proud of you and wish you well on your continued journey.

Take care, buddy!