Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes - 4 net carbs per serving

Here's another Southern specialty made the low-carb way. Instead of cornmeal and wheat flour, we have used an alternate low-carb breading. This drops the entire recipe's total carbs from 56 to 14.5 net carbs or from 14 to 4 net carbs per serving. The carbs are pretty low, so feel free to go back for seconds.


4 Servings @ 4 net carbs per serving


Ingredients:

1 egg
2 Medium Green Tomatoes (10 net carbs)
2 T. Vital Wheat Gluten Flour (3 net carbs)
2 T. Almond or Hazelnut Meal (1.5 or 1 net carb)
2 T. Parmesan Cheese (0 net carbs)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bacon Fat or Vegetable Oil


Instructions:

Mix egg in bowl. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Heat skillet with a little bacon fat or vegetable oil on medium. Slice tomatoes 3/8 inch thick. Dip in egg then in dry ingredients. Place in frying pan. Cook until brown, turning over once.
Often, these are served with a horseradish sauce much like that which is typically served with a blooming onion or onion peddles. My wife doesn't like horseradish so, we typically eat ours plain. They're excellent either way.

3 comments:

Sparky's Girl said...

Thank you so much for posting this! Fried green tomatoes are one of my favorites. I've tried it with wheat flour and it just wasn't the same.. not to mention the carbs are still pretty high! I'll be enjoying this soon! :0)

Anonymous said...

I have been "low-carbing" for about 3 years now and it has changed my life. I have gone from a women's size 24 to a size 8 - and I have never felt better. You two keep on rockin'! :o )

You two are wonderful! Thank you so much for the low carb recipe for fried green tomatoes. I will be looking into your other recipes too!

emr3857 said...

This was the first link that came up with I googled "low carb fried tomatoes" They were scrumptious and I lost a pound the next day.
THANK YOU!!!