Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Country Cucumbers - 1.5 net carbs per serving

My summer vegetable garden is finally producing. We've eaten a handful of cherry tomatoes and a few big, ripe "better boy" tomatoes. Most of our hot peppers are turning red and need to be picked. The zucchini plants are loaded with little six inch zucchinis that will be ready for eating in a couple of days. My pickling cucumbers are not yet producing, but the regular burpless kind are loaded. I just love this time of year. For whatever reason, home grown vegetables blow away those that you can buy at the grocery store.

I would like to share with you a very simple recipe for simple country style cucumbers. This is by far my favorite use of cucumbers. These are a perfect low-carb side dish or appetizer for a hot summer day. Each cucumber has about 3 net carbs. I am counting half a cucumber as a serving. I'm not listing quantities for the ingredients. You can make as much or as little as you'd like and salt according to your taste.

Ingredients:

Sliced Cucumbers
Crushed Ice
Water
Salt (1 tsp per cup of water +/-)

Instructions:

Whether or not you peal your cucumbers is up to your own preference. I like to peal stripes down long-ways down the cucumber so that the slices have little dark green squares. Put cucumber slices in a bowl. Cover with crushed ice, salt, and water. You will likely need more salt than you'd expect, perhaps as much as a teaspoon per cup of water. I suggest adding a little salt at a time until you like the way it tastes. Serve in bowl with water and all. Guests can scoop what they want out of the bowl and put on their plate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds good,easy too, thanks