Sunday, July 8, 2007

Biscuits - 1 net carb each

My biscuits are made from scratch just like grandma used to make. Well actually, my grandmothers both make biscuits from a can. But you know where I'm trying to go with this. I have been working on this recipe for some time now. The primary ingredients are vital wheat gluten flour and protein powder (plain, not vanilla!). I have found that when cooking with protein powder, foods tend to be a little dry. This is why I add the cream cheese to the recipe. The cream cheese helps keep it moist without making the batter too soggy. My biscuits go wonderfully with low carb sausage gravy. Or, you can do as I did today and make up a batch of sausage, cheese, and egg biscuits. However you eat them, I am willing to bet you will feel as if you are cheating on your low carb diet.

If you try these, please comment. I'd love to know hear your opinions and suggestions.


This recipe makes 14 three inch biscuits at 1 net carb each.


Ingredients:


4 oz. cream cheese (1/2 package)
1 stick of butter
1 T. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2/3 c. Hood Calorie Countdown Dairy*
1 egg


Instructions:


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Put butter and cream cheese in microwave safe mixing bowl. Microwave 30 seconds to soften. Add all dry ingredients to bowl. With pastry cutter, mix until crumbly. If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can do this in a food processor. Just don't over-do the mixing/cutting. Add egg and dairy to bowl and continue mixing until all is moistened. Do not over mix or you risk the biscuits being too heavy.

Form all dough into ball and place between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll to 3/4 inch thickness. Use top layer of parchment paper to line the cookie sheet. Cut dough with three inch cookie cutter or upside down drinking glass. Ball up scraps, re-roll and cut again. Place biscuits on top of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.


*Can substitute buttermilk or cream for Hood calorie countdown dairy beverage, but be sure to add the extra carbs.
.
Comments added Sept 11, 2007: These do not freeze or microwave well.

13 comments:

Amy said...

Hey Bid Daddy,
We made your biscuits for dinner this evening and the whole family liked them. I look forward to making egg sandwiches with them in the morning. We will try your pizza recipe soon!
thanks!
Amy

Anonymous said...

BD,
You seem to be real creative in the kitchen - I admire that. I am, too. To that end, I bought a big 'ol bag of whole ground flaxseed meal. It seems to say 0 net carbs, which is fine by me, but I'm wondering if I can do something with it as-is or I have to mix it with something else. Any advice? Too many ingredients and I just don't have the heart..

Enjoy your blog,
Low Carb confidential
lowcarbconfidential.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Hello from a low-carber in Malaysia! Thank you for posting your recipes. This one looks and sounds so tempting.

I really enjoy your posts too. Here's to continuing success to you and your wife.

Flora

Big Daddy D said...

To Low Carb Confidential:

Regarding flax meal without other fours... I have tried some muffin recipes that use flax without other flours. They're not bad. But they have a strange slimy quality where the oily stuff strings out when you touch it. I'm not sure how to explain it. But, flax is becoming a very popular health food right now. Many people think flax seed oil has good qualities. I have heard of people sprinkling the flax meal onto salads and eating it raw. Though, I haven't tried this myself.

PJ said...

They sound great! I am avoiding gluten alas, so now I am jealous.

lowcarbconfidential -- actually the net on flax seed/meal is not quite zero, but it's close enough it might as well be. Something like .6 per 1/4 cup. You definitely will be mixing it with other stuff.

Visit lowcarber.org, go to the kitchen forum, and do a search on flax bread and bowl muffins. Both of those are based on flax, as are quite a few other recipes there, and it is a *great* ingredient!

deegee said...

You are really creative with your recipes. I just stumbled upon your website and I'm glad I found it. Breakfast is always a problem for me since I drive a long distance to work. I like to have something I can take with me and the biscuits with sausage or ham will be perfect. I'll be trying that recipe and the meat loaf this weekend and I'll write back to let you know how they come out. All of your recipes look good to me! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Big Daddy D, I hope that you are enjoying your vacation. I took a crack at your biscuits tonight & I was pleasantly surprised.

My biscuits had good flavor, though the texture was more shortbread-like and they were too thin to split. They would be very good with some sweetened berries and sugar free whipped cream. By my calculations they are 3.75g carbohydrate each (total, NOT net). I used heavy cream. http://bootstrap.net/wp/?p=49

I will definately try them again, though I will try cooking them on one of my Pampered Chef stoneware pans, and perhaps make them thicker and smaller in diameter.

Thanks for sharing your experince here!

Anonymous said...

Hi Big Daddy,

We made the biscuits today and they are awesome....I made half a batch to freeze with sausage and eggs and the other half I added garlic salt and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar....for dinner tonight. Both are delicious and the cheddar biscuits taste like the biscuits from a seafood chain that we go to. Yum!

Big Daddy D said...

These don't raise very much. Some people say that 3/4 inch results in too thin of a biscuit. So, next time I make them, I think I'm going to try rolling them 1 1/2 inches thick. Of course this will cut the yield in half and double the carbs per biscuit. I'll let you know when I try it this way and if any adjustments need to be made to the cooking time.

Anonymous said...

So, I'm thinking that I did something wrong. I decided to 1/4 the recipe, probably a bad idea! They tasted good, but the texture was like sawdust. I will have to try them again using the entire recipe. The only other thing that I can think of is maybe the protein powder was just not a good one. It looked okay though.

Anonymous said...

I was so happy when I found your blog. I started my low carb lifestyle last year and kept getting stuck trying to find my bread fix. I ordered the gluten flour just so I could make these.

I tried to make 12 and they were too thin. I think next time I will make 8. I made 2 biscuits out of the leftover dough and they were the right thickness for me. I fried some turkey sausage, egg, and topped it sharp white cheddar. I definitely did feel like I was cheating.

They had a slightly grainy taste, something I might try to eliminate by adding cheese and herbs. Thanks for the recipe. Now I can have a sausage biscuit for breakfast just like the rest of the family does!

Chrissi

Disconnected Diva said...

Just came across your blog today. Your biscuits look delicious. When I can get the ingredients, I'd certainly like to try and make them.

Just wondering since it has been a while if there are any tweaks you have made or if anyone who has tried to modify the texture has had success ?

Are they crumbly ? Or are they suitable for eating on the go ?

Jill said...

I wonder if something other than soy protein powder could be used? I try to avoid soy.