Friday, June 15, 2007

Carb Cycling Results

This last 2 week cycle has not been that great. My drinking too much bass ale on Wednesday was cheating. And it stopped my ketosis dead in it's tracks. My night of drunkin bliss cost me 2 days out of my cycle. Anyways, this cycle resulted in only about 1 pound in weight loss. However, I did lose a solid 1/2 inch around my waistline. I say solid because it is a 1/2 inch smaller for all 3 ways I measure: sucked in all the way, relaxed, and puffed out as far as possible. When I calculate my lean weight and percentage body fat, I average these 3 waist measurements. This half inch affects my lean body weight calculation by making it appear that I might have gained 2 pounds of lean muscle. If this is true, then my 1 pound weight loss could actually mean 3 pounds of fat lost. Whatever. I'll just keep on going until I reach 18% body fat.

Regardless, since August, I have lost 82 pounds and am now within 18 pounds of my original weight goal. My wife has been following the same regiments (except she started two months later) and has lost roughly 70 pounds. I am assuming that the leaner we get, the harder it will be to lose. So, I suppose the slow-down should be no surprise whether I am doing straight low-carb or carbcycling (with or without cheating).

On the up side, today is a carb-up day... For lunch, Brandi and I went to a Pizza Hut buffet. And, I was able to eat some cinnamon sticks with frosting... mmmmmm...mmm... I am learning to really enjoy the foods that I used to take for granted. But by the time Sunday roles around, all of my cravings will be settled down and I will actually be looking forward to going back on the diet. I think I actually feel better physically end emotionally when I am on the carb down days.

I'm also starting the think that carb-cycling might not be a bad maintenance plan... perhaps it would entail shorter cycles... Doing so would keep my weight under control and still allow me to indulge once in a while but not too frequently. And, if I were to add weight lifting, I might bulk up and become a sexy hunk... hey, crazier things have happened.

If any of my readers have successfully lost 50 or more pounds and kept it off, I would very much like to hear the details of your maintenance plan. I actually lost 60 pounds on the Protein Power Plan several years ago. At the time, I was still in my mid 20's (I am now 33 years old). And, I managed to keep it off for a whole year with no maintenance plan at all. The only change between pre-diet and post-diet was that I was much more aware of the impact of what I was eating so I might not have indulged quite as much as before. But, after that first skinny year ended, my fat decided to come back with a vengance.

2 comments:

TESS said...

I followed Atkins. After I had lost 60 lb I stalled for 7 mon.Then I started couting calories and the rest as they say is history. Total lost 140 bs. It took me from Mar 2003 to Oct 2005 to do it. Maintaining is harder than losing. I have found I am one of those people who maintain on 1200 to 1400 calories.My carbs never exceed 50 unless I am on a sugar binge. This happens several times a year.I simply don't eat white(unless I am n a binge)exercise every day and keep a food journal. When my weight creeps up, and it does regularly, 1200 to 1400 is hard to maintain, I simply drop my calories to 700-900 until it is off again.I'm 55 so it is more difficult. Congratulations to you and your wife. You have accomplished a wonderful thing. I wish you every sucess as you make your way to goal.

Haole Fats said...

Aloha Not-So-Big-Anymore Daddy,

Haole Fats here. Just dropped in to look over your blog. I can see I'm going to be spending many hours here catching up with your story. Very inspirational to one who is two months into the journey you've been on for a year. Congrats to you and your wife. What a gift to your son that both of you will be healthy and active for him as he grows into a man. Take care,
Warmest Aloha
Anthony