Thursday, May 31, 2007

Staying in Ketosis vs. Carb Cycling

I have a dilemma. For the past few days, my ketone strips are reading around 100 mg/dL, which is a large amount of ketones. This means that my body is currently burning fat at a fast rate. And, that's great. However, tomorrow is supposed to be the start of a carb-up in my cycle. And, I hate to knock myself out of ketosis when it is burning fat so well. On the flip side of the coin, it is likely due to my carb cycling that I am in heavy ketosis right now. Not doing a carb up might allow my body to adjust to the small amounts of carbohydrates that I have been consuming. So, even though I have reservations about it, I have made a decision. Slip out of ketosis and enjoy high carb food this weekend. If my theories on dieting are correct this will, in the long run, result in greater weight loss.

1 comment:

PJ said...

I hope it's right. Or at least, fairly equivalent weight loss, but with the opportunity for greatly expanded dietary options. (and possibly less dependence on ultra low carb later down the road.)

I'm going to be posting later today about my carb cycling plan. I have a hard time doing any plan, simply because I seldom can get myself to eat enough to make minimum numbers of anything (though somehow, I doubt that making the carb numbers will be hard, since oatmeal and fresh squeezed citrus juice are what I yearn for when lowcarbing). But I want to make a major effort to accompany the 6/1 exercise plan beginning!