Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Holy Grail... Low Carb Pizza

I love good pizza; hate bad pizza. More than anything, I crave pizza. And, based on numerous low-carb discussion forums, I'd have to say that I am not alone. There are numerous low-carb pizza dough recipes posted all over the Internet. It seems that everyone is trying to make pizza. There are many that look like pizza but few that can come close to a good crisp & chewy hand-tossed pizza crust. Quite often, I see recipes for pizza dough that use a variety of cheeses in the crust itself. I keep seeing variations of recipes that include various flours plus mozzarella, parmesan, and cream cheese. I was reluctant to try it... but, I finally gave it a shot. Since most of the comments on these crusts was that they were too dry, I added some flax meal. And, you know what? It wasn't bad. I wouldn't say it was the best pizza I'd ever eaten, but it was far superior to places like Domino's and Little Caesar's. I'm going to continue playing around with this and post a recipe in a few weeks. In the mean-time, if you have a pizza dough recipe that you like (preferably using yeast) please post it here by clicking the "responses" link below. Thanks.

2 comments:

Sparky's Girl said...

Pizza has alwasy been one of my favorites. When I'm craving it, but don't want the extra carbs that crust can add, I make a skillet pizza. You can find the recipe and instructions here. Like I said, it doesn't have crust, but it's really good anyway.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had pizza for 3 years. I don't see how you can use yeast in the crust without carbs, though, doesn't the yeast need the them to rise?