Friday, May 4, 2007

Carb Freedom Fries w/ Bacon and Cheddar - 2 net carbs per serving

Not long ago, I was craving French fries. So, I went to Google and searched for low carb french fries. The vast majority of results were recipes using tofu. Some people fried it. Some baked it. Others coated it in oil and broiled it. My wife and I tried it all. Fried, it becomes tough. When broiling or baking, we couldn't tell any difference between the plain fries and the ones brushed with oil. The simplest recipe seems to be the best. Martha Stewart posted a similar recipe to her website. She calls them "Soy Sticks" instead of french fries. These look exactly like french fries. The taste isn't too far off either. But the texture is a tad on the chewy side. They're not bad. My wife and I both agree that we'd like them much better if we weren't trying to compare them to fries made from potatoes. While they're okay as-is, we decided to kick them up a notch by using Lowry's Seasoning Salt and adding melted cheddar with bacon. If you like, serve these with either low-carb ketchup or ranch dressing for dipping.


4-6 Servings at about 2 net carbs each.
.
Ingredients:
.
2 packages of extra firm tofu
Lowry's seasoning salt (to taste)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Crumbled Bacon

Instructions:

Cut tofu into half inch slices. Place on layer of paper towels. Put more paper towels on top. Press out liquid. Now cut the slices into french-fry-like strips. Place strips onto greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle strips with Lowry's seasoning salt. Broil on top rack of oven until golden brown. Turn over strips. Sprinkle with more seasoning salt. Then broil again. It should take about 10 minutes per side. They should be dry with no wet sides when done. You can stop here and eat.

To add the next dimension of flavor, transfer fries to oven-safe plate. Cover with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon. Place back in oven. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.

Optionally serve with ranch or low-carb ketchup.

8 comments:

Sparky's Girl said...

Thinly slice Jicama (careful, it's hard stuff) or make into thin "fries" and deep fry. It's my favorite fry substitute.

Big Daddy D said...

I have never heard of Jicama... Where do you get it? How many carbs and how much fiber is in it?

Sparky's Girl said...

Here's a page you can look at to get all the info:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-jicama-history-facts.html

It even has a picture so you can see what it looks like. They say it tastes like a pear or apple, but I don't agree. I tried making a Mock apple pie out of it and it wasn't so good.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Big Daddy D said...

I found jicamas at a brand new local high-end grocery store. We will fry them on this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

Big Daddy D said...

Ate some jicama raw and deap fried some. Raw, they're quite good. I can see putting them in salads or using them with dips (perhaps 0 carb marshmallow dip). Fried, they sort of reminded me of sweet potato fries. They are extremely good but still don't taste like real potato french fries. But, I did like them and will definately do some more experimenting with them.

I think they'd probably be useful in making desserts. I'm thinking of perhaps trying a moc-apple pie following the Divine Zucchini cobbler recipe (using jicama instead of zucchini).

Anonymous said...

daddy d, I understand the ketosis first phase of atkins wherein you can eat reasonable quantities of Extremely lowcarb foods, but I don't understand how you can get away with High calorie low carb eating without gaining from the hi calories, when you're not in ketosis. Please explain your approach if you care to. I would like to have more variety as you have. Thanks.

Daron said...

From personal experience, high calorie doesn't matter at first and kees the metabolism and energy levels high. But over time, it does seem to make a difference. Without carbs, I don't think the body can store much fat so you won't gain much if any weight. But, with high calories, it may be difficult to lose weight quickly as why would your body burn fat stores if it has pleanty of energy from what you eat.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thank You!! Was dying for some chili cheese fries today...not a bad substitute for the fries!!! =) I didn't have a whole lot of hope but these were very satisfying, thanks!!co