Friday, May 11, 2007

3 Minute Lemon Cake - 3.5 net carbs

I am not good at following directions. So, I naturally make every recipe my own by modifying it significantly. However, in this case, I couldn't think of much to do to improve upon it besides to add a little sweetener. This recipe is the invention of "BetsyJ64". The original recipe can be found on the lowcarber forum at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=332108.

I use Aloha Nu coconut flour (purchased from netrition.com). This has only 1 net carb per 2 tablespoons. Bob's Red Mill Coconut flour is easier to find but has 4 net carbs per 2 tablespoons.

2 T melted butter
1 beaten egg
1 T grated lemon zest
Juice from 1/2 lemon
splash vanilla extract
8 drops Sweetzfree (or other sweetener equiv. to 1/3 cup sugar)
1/2 t baking powder
1 T oil
2 T coconut flour
1 T heavy cream or Hood calorie countdown dairy

Mix it all up and nuke for 1 minute, 20 seconds (you may want to adjust for your own microwave). I used a cereal bowl. It comes out nice and spongy!

My wife and I topped with 1/2 cup of raspberries and unsweetened whipping cream (add 3.4 net carbs). With these toppings, the 3 minute lemon cake is diet food good enough to serve to company.

2 comments:

Regay said...

Where is the recipe for the frosting. I would like to try it.

Daron said...

You are joking, right? If you really need to have frosting, try the one from the lemon birthday cake.

http://lowcarbohydrate.blogspot.com/2007/09/lemon-birthday-cake-7-net-carbs.html