Sunday, April 29, 2007

Gardening

This weekend, I got my vegetable garden planted. We included many tomatoes even though we'll only be able to eat large quantities on our carb-up days (every other weekend). Many will get pickled before ripening. These will have far fewer carbs as the sugar count is quite low. According to my carb-counter guide book, the yellow tomatoes are supposed to have half of the carbs. But since there are so many varities of red and yellow, I don't really know if this applies to the flavorful "lemon boys" that I planted. And I have no idea how many carbs are in the striped and ripe green ones. I am hoping that someone reading this can tell me the carb counts for different varieties of tomatoes.

I am also expecting a huge crop of zucchini which is excellent for low-carb cooking. And, we are trying tomatillos this year. I've never planted these and have only used them to make one thing, PJ's Divine low-carb chili verde, which is awesome. I am hoping the tomatillos do well so that I can do some experimenting in the kitchen.

I always plant basil next to my tomatoes. Basil, when blooming keeps away most of the insects that would normally attack my tomatoes and asparagus. It's a wonderful companion crop as well as an excellent edible herb.

The following is what we've planted so far:

  • 2 better boy tomato
  • 1 lemon boy tomato
  • 1 outhouse cherry tomato, red heirloom, 1/2 inch
  • 1 mister stripey tomato, red & yellow stripes
  • 1 druzba tomato, Bulgarian heirloom
  • 1 (forgot the name) tomato, ripens green heirloom
  • 1 red ox-heart tomato, heirloom
  • 2 tomatillos
  • 9 bell peppers
  • 1 jalapano pepper
  • 1 chili pepper
  • 1 tabasco peppers
  • 1 mound pickling cucumbers
  • 1 mound normal cucumbers
  • 1 large mound zucchini
  • small patch of yellow wax beans
  • asparagus (comes up every year)
  • basil (to keep bugs off other plants)

I'd like to plant a few more varieties of peppers. I will also be planting some parsley (last years didn't come back this spring). If any of you have ideas of low carb veggies to plant, please speak up. I am primarily interested only in growing items that either taste much better than store bought or that are quite expensive at the store.

No comments: