Monday, April 16, 2007

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars - 4.25 net carbs each

Here's a pretty good sweet treat that I am sure you will enjoy. It's also quick and easy to make. The entire recipe has 51 net carbs and makes 12 large servings of 4.25 net carbs each. I use sweetzfree (concentrated sucralose) which has zero carbs. If you use Splenda Quickpacks instead each piece will have 5 net carbs. I used Hood Calorie Countdown in this recipe. Hood can be found at your grocery store next to the milks. You can substitute cream for the Hood.

Bottom Layer Ingredients:


1 stick of butter
1 1/2 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate
1 1/2 cups almond meal
30 drops sweetz free (or 1 Splenda Quickpack)
1/2 cup flax meal (also called milled or ground flax)


Top Layer Ingredients:

2 T. butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup hood calorie countdown
30 drops sweetzfree (or 1 Splenda Quickpack)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use natural)
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Instructions:

Bottom Layer: Put all butter and chocolate in large glass bowl. Microwave 2 minutes. Whisk by hand until smooth. Stir in sweetener, Almond meal, and flax. Spread in 9 x 13 inch pan. Place in freezer while mixing top layer.

Top Layer: Put all ingredients in same large glass bowl. Microwave 3 minutes. Whisk by hand until smooth. Spread over top of bottom layer.

Place in refrigerator until firm. Cut into 12 pieces. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

OH!!! Do those sound yummy!!! And I have everything except the cream cheese!

About PJ said...

Oh wow! So I've been here drooling over all the awesome food on your blog. I swear just reading your recipes has given me more inspiration to get off my butt and drop my carbs than anything has i a long time. Thanks for that!!!

PS And I am *really* glad to see that you and your wife are not only trying carb cycling but intelligently reviewing it as well. I have observed 'adaptation' in myself and definitely in others from reading mass LC stuff online, and I think that carb cycling may be the solution for it. I am really looking forward to your end results.

The only thing I don't get is the quantity. I mean my idea of carb cycling is like <30 on LC days and <150 (or even less) on high days. Not 350! Wowwwww. What made you decide to make the carb up so massive? I'm just curious. I ask because my interest in carb cycling was only in not becoming dependent on lowcarb / over-reactive to them; not necessarily to have free binge days so to speak. Although man, if you can eat that many carbs and still lose weight, I'd do it -- the ability to eat the stuff you genuinely want to oughtta make blending in with our reality SO much easier! -- and more fun, as well. ;-)

Betsy said...

Looks and sounds yummy! I just love PB! You and your wife are doing an awesome job...keep it up!!

Big Daddy D said...

PJ, with regards to why so many carbs on carb-up days... Based on so-called evidence for risk of heart disease and obesity, the Institute of Medicine recommends that American and Canadian adults get between 40-65% ofdietary energy from carbohydrates. The Food and Agriculture Organization and World Health Organization jointly recommend that national dietary guidelines set a goal of 55-75% of total energy from carbohydrates.

Now do the math. I'm a male with moderate activity level. So, I need to consume 2500 kcal/day. 55% to 75% of this would be 1375 kcal to 1875 kcal/day from digestable carbs. According to our chart above, there are 4 kilocalories per digestable carb. So, this means that I should, according to the "experts" consume 344 to 469 carbohydrates per day to maintain weight. To lose weight, suppose I cut back to 1900 (kilo)calories per day, I'd be expected to consume 261 carbs (ie. 1900 x 0.55 / 4). This assumes first of all that the "calorie" is a good metric. On my diet, I am only eating 30 to 45 net carbs per day. The levels recommended based on this calculation seem absurdly high.

I am basically basing my carb up day carb counts on these recommendations.... And, carb-down days are in line with atkins and protein power.