Monday, April 16, 2007

Brandi's Breading - 1 net carb per serving

My wife, Brandi came up with this recipe. I must say that it is absolutely the best low-carb breading that I have ever eaten. In fact, low-carb aside, it's still a pretty darn good breading. I would eat it on or off the diet.

We use this breading mostly on pork chops, but it would also be good on catfish, chicken, or other meats. I think if you put it on veal, you'd have a wonderful weinerschnitzel.

We have only used this breading for frying but I suspect it might work equally well for the oven.

The total recipe has 9 net carbs and makes about 8 servings at just over 1 net gram per serving.

Ingredients:
1/4 c. almond meal
1/4 c. vital wheat gluten
2 T. Parmesan cheese (powder-like)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 egg

Instructions:
Mix dry ingredients. In shallow dish, beat egg. Dip meat in eggs then in dry ingredients. Fry in oil.

9 comments:

Big Daddy D said...

FYI - Tonight, we used this breading mix to make fried chicken. The result was superb!

If I could only figure out a good white gravy, I think that this breading would also make a mean country fried steak.

SAMANTHA said...

Wow, thank you Brandi!!! We used your breading recipe to make chicken parmesan tonight, really great! Vital wheat gluten... what a find! I think next time we will try mixing in ½ cup of crushed pork rind, it might add an additional layer of flavor.

Anonymous said...

Good, good, good! I used the breading tonight on minute steaks. I smothered with Campbell's Country Style Cream Gravy, 3g. carbs per 1/4 c. Fabulous. I will add cauliflower mashed potatoes next time to finish off the chicken fried steak dinner. Yum. Thank you!

Brian Cormier said...

This breading is so good that I blogged about it! It's my recipe of the day! A new favourite. :)

Sneezy said...

We used this breading today, on fresh crappie, right outta the river. All I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart! Best fish dinner I ever ate, if I do say so myself!

And Big Daddy D? Make white gravy from the skillet drippings by using your thickening agent of choice, and then use 1:1 heavy cream & water. Superb gravy.

Juniper Hill Antiques said...

We need you back on low carb!!!! Please let us know when you are around again!!!!!!!

Juniper Hill Antiques said...

Start low carbing again!!!!!! I enjoy your blog and your ideas!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great substitute for breading on fried chicken while lo-carbing. I added paprika and garlic powder to my mix for extra flavor. First time I used breading, it seemed a little bland. Tried crushed pork rinds years ago and didn't work very well, maybe because I forgot to dip meat in egg first. I'm so glad I finally found a lo-carb recipe for breading. Thank you.

Tina said...

Made fried pork chops with it. Just added a little ground flaxseed to it with my spices. Came out pretty good.

Tina