Monday, February 5, 2007

Pecan Pie - 7.5 net carbs per serving

Here's a pretty good recipe for pecan pie. I've seen it on recipezaar.com and various low-carb discussion forums. Since it is not original and I made minimal modifications, I'm linking to the recipe. Click here to view original recipe. It's not quite as good as the "real" thing but is very good considering that it is low carb. They used sugar free maple syrup instead of corn syrup. Sugar free syrup has sugar alcohols. When calculating the net carbs, I counted half the carbs from sugar alcohols. I cut the pie into 8 pieces, not 6 as in the recipe. I also used Sweetzfree (0 carbs) instead of granular Splenda. With Sweetzfree, the pie has 60 net carbs (7.5 net carbs each at 8 servings). If you use granular Splenda, add 24 to make 84 net carbs (10.5 net carbs each at 8 servings). If you use a Splenda quickpack, add only 8 net carbs to make it 68 (8.5 net carbs each at 8 servings). I ate this for breakfast this morning.... I hope you enjoy it.


CRUST
1 1/2 cups almond flour
4 tablespoons, melted butter

FILLING
3 eggs
1 cup equiv. to sugar *
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup sugar free maple syrup
1 1/2 cups pecans

For the crust, mix together the ingredients, press into an 8" or 9" pie plate and refrigerate.

Beat the eggs with the sweetener.

Add the vanilla, butter and syrup, then add the pecans.

Pour into the crust and bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes.



*I suggest a single splenda quick pack as the sweetener.

1 comment:

fight diabetes said...

hi there., i just dropped into ur blog and saw your recipe and it looks delicious! and it looks healthy too..

thanks,
sparco