Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Low Carb Vegetable Garden

In Kentucky, where I live, it's still a few months until planting time. I wanted to get this message up now so that I would have plenty of ideas when spring roles around. I live in the suburbs and have a small garden in my back yard. It's not real big but does produce a lot of vegetables.

Usually, I raise asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and peppers. Occasionally I throw in radishes & herbs between larger plants. Each year I like to try at least one or two new things to see how they work out. For example, one year, we successfully grew lots of brussel sprouts. We struggled with what to do with our bumper crop of brussel sprouts... there's so few recipes out there.

One of my favorite garden veggies is zucchini and it is well suited for all kinds of low carb dishes. It is extremely easy to grow. One or two mounds produces more than my wife and I can eat.

I'm mostly wondering about tomatoes. Garden tomatoes are a thousand times better than store bought. They are bursting with flavor. I have read that yellow tomatoes are lower in carbs than red. But, if you take into account heirloom varieties, there are thousands of possibilities. Each type varies in acidity and sweetness. Since all garden tomatoes seem much more favorable than store bought, I can't help but wonder if most garden varieties are higher in carbs. Does anyone know where to get nutrition info regarding specific varieties of tomatoes?

I am also curious to hear your ideas on what else to grow. Since I am now doing low-carb, I'll likely not plant as many tomatoes this year. This opens up space for trying new things. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Calianna said...

How about some lettuces?

There are all kinds of varieties of squashes, in addition to zucchini - hey, you could try some spaghetti squash.

Snow peas, those are nice and low in carbs too.

Broccoli is nice, even though it has a more limited harvest season than the brussels sprouts.

Spinach is a great low carb cool weather crop. If you want something you can harvest all summer long, Swiss Chard would be good.