Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Fettuccini Alfredo Impasta - 3.5 net carbs per serving

My wife and I occasionally make fake pasta out of zucchini. It sounds rather odd but actually works quite well. The zucchini strips, when cooked properly have a very similar texture to fettuccini noodles. It's hard to believe, but it's true. In the summer, our zucchini is fresh from the garden. However, in the winter, we buy it at the grocery store. Select small, firm zucchini. Once again, I used Hood Calorie Countdown dairy beverage which you can find in your grocery store next to the milk. This recipe is another original so please give me credit if sharing. Thanks.

Serves 4.

Ingredients:
1 8 oz. package cream cheese....(8 net carb)
2/3 c. Hood calorie countdown....(2 net carb)
2 t. minced garlic......................(2 net carb)
1/2 t. basil...............................(min. net carb)
1/4 t. oregano..........................(min. net carb)
1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese. ..(0 net carb)
10 small zucchini.......................(2 net carb, no skin/middle)
1/8 c. Olive Oil.........................(0 net carb)
Grilled Chicken strips (optional)... (0 net carb)

Sauce Instructions:

In sauce pan on medium-low heat, combine cream cheese, hood, garlic, basil, oregano, and paremesian cheese. Stir occasionally and cook until melted. Turn down to low.
.
..
.


"Noodle" Instructions:

1. With potato peeler, peal off dark green zucchini skin.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


2. With potato peeler, cut zucchini into strips. Rotate zucchini as you go and try to make the strips not too wide. Once you reach the seeds, discard.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
3. Place zucchini strips in pan with olive oil and grilled chicken. Saute over medium-high, stirring to prevent burning. Cook until edges are translucent.
.
..
.
.

4. Combine with sauce and serve.

9 comments:

Tweety said...

Hello there

thanks to google, I stumbled upon your recipe. Tried it today and I am typing this comment as I am eating. Its delicious. Thanks for inventing and posting it for the sake of us low carbers. Its awesome!

Keep inventing :)

courtney said...

I used some pre-made sauce, added in onion, mushrooms and chicken, and used your recipe for the "noodles". It was amazing! The zucchini is so close to actual noodles! I would eat this even if I wasnt trying to lose weight! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

This was awesome!!! I can't eat pasta, so this was a treat to stumble upon. I am trying more of the recipes that you have listed. Thank you!!!
Don't let yourself fall to far off the wagon. I'm sure you felt great after 85 lbs.!!!! Weight Watchers says "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!" Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Today is my first day on a low carb diet - saw your site. This looks fantastic and if it works my diet may work....Thanks, Frany

Anonymous said...

FYI: parmesan has 0.2g net carbs per tbsp.

also, i would suggest trying this with some nice tofu shiritaki noodles, (2g netcarb) or non-tofu shiritaki noodles (0g netcarb.)

Anonymous said...

This is soooo good!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Shari said...

This is fantastic! I would have never thought to use zucchini in this way. This is the way I make Alfredo sauce too, but I can't find the Hood milk in any store in my area so I use half heavy cream and 1/2 water. I think I may steam the zucchini strips next time though. My zucchini were a little heavy with oil even though my pan was hot enough. I think it would work out well. Thanks for the winning recipe!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us. I just want to eat it all day. Everyone should try this if you haven't already!

ashleeb said...

Not sure if you check this blog anymore. I have recently started low carb diet due to a small intestine condition. I have NEVER been one to consider a low carb diet for weight loss but alas, have been forced to give it a try for other reasons. Not long ago I stumbled upon a recipe for the best alfredo sauce i have ever tasted and am wondering if I can exchange the 2 cups of heavy cream my recipe calls for for 2 cups of the hoods that you use. I have never cooked with dairy alternatives and am aprehensive. Can you give me your opinion? My recipe calls for one stick butter, clove garlic, 2 tbsp cream cheese, 2 c heavy cream and 1 c shredded parmesean. I am so excited to have stumbled upon your blog, your recipe list is a treasure trove!