Friday, January 5, 2007

Almost 60 Pounds Off, Feeling Great

I have to tell you that after losing nearly sixty pounds in less than 5 months, I feel great. I'm 33 years old and too young to let my body fall apart.

I took my son in his stroller for a walk in the part yesterday. Going up hills didn't seem any harder than going down. Also, it dawned on me last night that I am no longer sleepy during the day. I used to be extremely tired during the day and especially exhausted upon waking in the morning. I think the heavy weight may have been causing sleep apnea which seems to be improving. Also, my back is not aching as frequently. A couple of weeks ago, I mowed the yard(last time this year). I didn't have to take a break from mowing. Not even between mowing and weed-eating. The funny thing is that I wasn't really aware of my problems before the weight came off.

My real objective is not to look better. But rather to improve my health so that I can be there for my son when we are both older. I'd hate to die prematurely. I'm looking forward to being able to do some long distance hiking together in the mountains when he gets old enough.

Recently, there was a reply to one of my previous posts. The reply criticized me, rightly so, for calling this a "diet" and not a "lifestyle" change. I had also stated that I planned to do this for six to nine months. They questioned what I'd do afterwards. The truth is that I've still not made up my mind on how to maintain my weight once I've gotten down to a reasonable size. I'm contemplating switching to low-calorie for maintenance. I've been reading that low-calorie diets can extend life expectancy (regardless of weight). Currently, calorie restriction makes me tired. I'm hoping that it won't be this way if I restrict calories when not overweight. Another option might be to set a weight range. Whenever I'd reach the top weight, I'd diet low-carb until I reach the bottom. This "yo-yo" method might not be extremely healthy but would give me much more freedom. That is, if I really did go back on the diet each time that I reached the top of my desired range. Or, I could do the traditional Atkins or PPLP maintenance by staying low-carb indefinitely with a slightly increased carb intake. Regardless, I have several more months before I need to deal with a maintenance strategy.

By the way, I really appreciate the recent comments on my blog. It helps me to know that someone out there is actually reading what I write. Thanks. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

PJ at TDLC said...

Unless you live on bacon, mayo and pepperoni (or solid cheese), most low carbing IS pretty low calorie. With the added advantage that it has enough protein to keep a person (especially a man) decently strong and not hungry.

Today I'm going to try an experiment that your zuke noodle recipe made me think of. I'd heard of zucchini used that way, but I remembered making that zuke cobbler and I thought -- what if I cooked it a little with the lemon (which seems to remove flavor for the most part), then drained it and kind of squished it between paper towels to remove fluid, and then put it in with some beef broth and spices so it would absorb some of that, the same way it did the apple pie spices, so the noodles literally are kind of flavored with beef? Sounds workable? Well we will see if it works or is a disaster. ;-)

I have an incredibly chocolate muffin I recently semi perfected - bit high cal/fat but only 2.16 carbs and a whole 12.60 protein! Link to Recipe Here

Have you tried NOTstarch's ThickNThin? It's a custom mix of gums that works as a thickening agent far better than any of the gums do alone and without the funky slime effect they can have. My friend showed me a sautee of some chopped peppers and mushrooms with a little beef broth and some of that to thicken the sauce a bit... alone or with steak or eggs, it is awesome.