Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Over the Plateau

The last few days, I've been getting that icky taste in mouth that I have come to associate with rapid weight loss. It's the result of too many ketones floating around in my blood. Ketones are produced when the body burns fat. If you are losing weight quickly and not drinking enough water, they come out in your breath.

This morning, I weighed only 280. I've lost the 4 pounds that I was hoping to lose before year-end. So, I guess I'll stick with the diet. I'm not sure why the weight is coming off again. The changes that I have made this week are as follows:

  1. Remember to take vitamins. I take a handful of vitamins which will be the subject of a future post. I think the Chromium is key.
  2. Eat bigger breakfast. I'd gotten in the habit of just eating low-carb yogurt or sugar-free tapioca pudding. I think that going without breakfast may put the body into starvation mode.
  3. Lay off the sugar alcohols. While I've been counting half the carbs from sugar alcohols, I wonder if my body is more efficient at digesting them than the average person? This one's been tough as I really love the Breyer's carb-smart rocky road ice cream.

I'm not sure which of these factors was key in my weight starting to come off again. My wife had also plataued. She has not yet started losing again. She's not been eating the sugar alcohols either. Her vitamin usage is spotty and I think she's not been eating enough for breakfast. So perhaps #1 was not the cause. This leaves 2 & 3.

BTW, today for breakfast, I ate 2 eggs, 4 bacon, and low-carb toast with melted pepper jack cheese. Now that I work from home, it is much easier to take the time to cook.

No comments: