Thursday, December 14, 2006

Better Carbquik Pot Pie - 5 1/2 net carbs per serving

There's a recipe on the Carbquik box for pot pie that has a total of 50 grams of net carbs. My version has only 35 total net carbs and tastes much better. It requires very little preparation but cooks for 30 minutes. My recipe calls for "Hood calorie countdown". Locally, it is carried in most grocery stores, next to the milk. If you don't have any Hood, you can substitute a mixture of half heavy cream & half water (roughly the same number of net carbs as Hood but not as good).

Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 13 oz. can of chicken
2 c. Frozen Broccoli (thawed)
1 c. Cheddar Cheese
1 can Campbells mushroom soup
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. Carbquik
1/2 c. Hood Calorie Countdown dairy beverage
1 egg.

Instructions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. In casserole dish, mix chicken (including the can's liquids), broccoli, cheese, soup, salt, and pepper. In large bowl, stir Carbquik, Hood (or cream/water mix), and egg. Spread Carbquik batter on top of chicken-broccoli mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great. Where do you buy Carbquick? I don't think our local health food stores carry it.

Big Daddy D said...

I buy various low carb products including carbquik from netrition.com. The postage is cheap and in my state, I don't have to pay sales tax for purchases made there.

Jenlew82 said...

I found fat free and 1/2 fat Hood milk stuff. Which should I get.
Love the site. Thanks.

sgwatkins said...

I like this recipe even better using the carbquik cobbler crust that you roll out. You place it in the bottom of the casserole dish and up the sides. Then, put in other ingredients. Use the leftover pieces to lay on top. I like this crust better than the thicker crust. I also sautee onions and mushrooms in butter and garlic pepper. It makes it more flavorable, but adds a little more carbs. I have also added fresh squash pieces. After 20 min. of cooking, I sprinkle parmesan cheese on top, and bake another 10 min. If I have more ingredients, I add those, too. I have added pimento to give it more color or red pepper pieces.

Anonymous said...

I like to use the cobbler carbquik recipe for the crust. It is a roll out crust. I put it in the bottom and on the sides of the dish. I saute onions and mushrooms in garlic pepper and butter. If I have pimento or red pepper, I add it also. I use the leftover crust pieces to put on top. Bake for 20 min., then sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and bake another 10 min. This adds only a few carbs to the recipe. I like the flavor of the sauteed onions. I am going to try using the cornbread carbquik recipe for the crust the next time. I like the taste of the cornbread more than the biscuits. It has more of a crunch texture. I use it for breakfast instead of biscuits. I use a small and a large skillet for the cornbread recipe because my family likes thin cornbread. It also cuts out some of the carbs, since the pieces ate smaller. One of my fav low carb breakfast meals is bacon, sausage, cheese, and tomato sandwich on thin cornbread slices. I cook the cornbread at night, and toast it in the toaster over for a quick breakfast. It does not have an aftertaste or taste like it is low carb. My family likes it also.