Monday, November 13, 2006

Pumpkin Cheesecake* - 5 net carbs per serving

If you like pumpkin pie and you like cheesecake, you'll love my pumpkin cheesecake! And, it's just in time for the holidays! The recipe is my own invention and I am extremely pleased with the result. The cheesecake turned out light and fluffy with no cracking. Because it is so light, I don't' think you would want to exclude the crust. The entire 10 inch cheesecake has 95.4 net carbs. For guilt free gluttony, split this into 12 generous portions for 8 net carbs per serving. Or, if you have a lot of other food for Thanksgiving, it can easily be cut into 20 pieces of 5 net carbs each. The best way to slice a cheesecake, by the way, is to use dental floss. Cheesecakes also freeze well. So, you can make this weeks in advance then thaw when you will have company.

Servings 20.

Crust Ingredients: (Total 15 net carbs)
1 cup Almond Meal
1 cup Soy Protein Powder
2 T. Splenda
1 stick of butter (slightly chilled)
1 egg white

Crust Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place almond meal, protein powder, Splenda, and butter in mixing bowl. Mix with pastry cutter until crumbly. If you don't have a pastry cutter, put it in a foodprocessor and barely process until crumbly. Press into bottom and sides of 10 inch springform pan. Brush with eggwhites. The eggwhites create a barrier that will keep the crust from getting soggy. Pre-bake for six minutes.

Filling Ingredients: (Total 80.4 net carbs)
2 1/2 pounds Philadelphia cream cheese at room temp.
1 c. Sugar Equivalent (I suggest 1 splenda quick pack)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 egg yolks
3 T. vital wheat gluten
2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground allspice
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 T. vanilla extract
1 can (1 pound) mashed pumpkin

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, Splenda, eggs, and yokes. Mix until smooth then add vital wheat gluten, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and allspice. Beat in cream and vanilla.Add mashed pumpkin. Beat on medium until mixed thoroughly. You will likely have to stop occasionally and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Place pan full of water on bottom rack and cheesecake on middle rack. The water will increase the oven's humidity and help reduce the chance of cracking. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 275 then bake for another hour. Turn oven off and leave in oven to cool overnight. Do not open the oven door. Peaking could make the cheesecake cool too quickly and cause cracking. You can serve warm or chilled, with or without whipped cream. Enjoy!

*This recipe is the intellectual property of Big Daddy D, copyright 2006, 2007.

6 comments:

CulinaryRecipe said...

Cool Low Carb blog you have, would you mind if i ask you for a link exchange?

Anonymous said...

I'm new here and I'm sooo happy to have found this side. awesome. I made the pumpkin cheese cake and it is the best I ever ate. love it

Daron said...

I quit using crust on my cheese cakes. You can simply grease the pan and dump in the filling or grease & coat with a dusting of ground almonds... both ways it works great.

Big Daddy D
AKA Daron

CMC said...

Big Daddy... I want to make this BUT, I'm afraid of a lot of after taste. I prefer stevia over splenda.Maybe it's that, but does this have an aftertaste?

Daron said...

I don't notice an after taste using SPLENDA... But you can use whatever sweetener you like. I think the pumpking and spices would cover up just about anything, even Stevia.

CMC said...

Thanks for the response,Big Daddy. I think I have to break down and get some Splenda for this. I tried Stevia with some other cheesecake type recipes and there was a bad taste. I thought maybe from too much but I don't want to take a risk on Thanksgiving for this large a recipe.

Have a great Thanksgiving!