Sunday, November 5, 2006

More Experiments with Carb Quick - Sausage Cheese Balls

I tried making sausage cheese balls. This is the ubiquitous recipe except with carbquik instead of bisquik. Net carbs is 0.17 per ball. The recipe makes 70 balls. If using bisquik, the net carbs would be about 2 per ball. The experiment result was so-so. The balls were not bad but were a bit dense and didn't quite have the same texture as with bisquik. Also, they left tons of grease in the bottom of the pan. Apparently the carbquik doesn't absorb grease as well. I then, as a test, added quite a bit of feta cheese to the batter for the last 20 or so balls. To my surprise, the feta flavor was quite mild and it improved the texture substantially... but still not as good as the real sausage balls. Next time, I think I'll try half carbquik and half bisquik for balls of 1 net gram each.

No comments: