Monday, November 6, 2006

Divine Low Carb Zucchini Cobbler - 9 net carbs per serving. (revised)

I borrowed this recipe from http://www.thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.com/. First of all, I consider this an excellent blog. I have tried two of her recipes, both of which turned out fabulous!

I like zucchini, but found this not to taste much like zucchini. Instead, it tastes exactly like apple pie. Lemon juice is cooked with the squash and gives it a slight tart flavor, not all that much different than a granny smith apple. I was able to utilize the last of my garden's fall zucchini. Cooking with home-grown veggies always pleases me. Unlike most zucchini recipes, I think this one would work best with larger overgrown squash. The recipe has one ingredient that you might have a hard time finding -- carbquik. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of carbquik and learning what it can do well and what it can't. I'm not great at following directions, so the recipe below is my version, with slightly different measurements and ingredients than that on "The Divine Low Carb" blog. My package of splenda says it has less than 1 carb per serving. I looked Splenda up online and found that it contains a whopping 24 grams per cup. So, I calculated the dish to have 72 net carbs total with 9 net carbs per serving.

Servings 8.

Crust & Topping Ingredients
1 2/3 c. carbquik.
2/3 c. sugar equiv. I used Splenda.
1 1/4 c. butter, slightly chilled. Not too hard not too soft.
1/2 tsp. cinnamon.

Filling Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups zucchini - peal it, quarter, remove seeds and pulpy part, slice into 1/2 inch pieces, resembling apple slices. Next time, I may try doubling this ingredient.
Juice from 1 large lemon. Next time, I may also add 1/4 tsp. of zest.
1/2 c. sugar equiv.
1/4 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 of the crust mix (see above).

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put zucchini and lemon juice in covered saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, place all crust ingredients in large bowl. With a pastry cutter, mix until crumbly (you could do this in a food processor, just don't over-do it). Return to the zucchini on the stove and while stirring, add cornstarch, splenda, and spices. Then mix in about 1/3 of the crust mix. You should now have a nice thick caramel like filling. Remove from heat. Grease 9 or 10 inch pie pan (I like the butter flavored Pam, but you could use actual butter). Press crust crumbs into dish, reserving enough for the topping. Add filling. Top with remaining crumbs. Bake 30 minutes. or until golden brown.

Aug 16, 2007 corrections are in blue.

No comments: