Monday, November 6, 2006

Divine Low Carb Chili Verde - 4 net carbs per serving

Wow, this stuff is awesome! Chili verde is a thick stew with a South Western influence. It consists of pork, peppers, onion, and tomatillos. It's spiced with garlic, sage, oregano, and cumin. I got this recipe from another blog. The blogger's family history regarding this dish is a great read. There's no way I could do it justice here. So, rather than posting the recipe, I'm providing a link: http://thedivinelowcarb.blogspot.com/2006/10/chili-verde-meat-supreme.html.

The net carbs will vary depending on the type of peppers and beer you choose. I used some small sweet red peppers, green bells, and 6 Jalapenos. It was spicy but didn't burn. Also, for the beer, I used Micholob Ultra (2.6 carbs per bottle). In my carb calculation, I estimated 4 grams per cup. The author calculated about 1 1/2 per 1/2 cup.

I fixed this dish Saturday night and let it simmer in the crock pot overnight. My father, who has recently begun a low-carb diet came over for lunch. He liked it so much that he helped himself to a second big bowl.

Until this, I had never cooked nor eaten tomatillos. Tomatillos are small green tomato-like fruits wrapped in a leafy husk. I remember them growing wild in the wheat fields where I grew up. A friend used to pick them and bring them home to his mother to cook. Occasionally, I see them in stores. I've not purchased any because, until now, I didn't know what to do with them! Their flavor, to my surprise was not as much like green tomatoes as I had suspected. Instead, they have a fuity but not sweet flavor somewhat resembling a mild kiwi.

I strongly recommend this recipe and the blog from which it came.

No comments: