Monday, October 23, 2006

Satisfying Biscuits and Gravy - 7 net carbs per serving

That's right, low-carb biscuits with sausage gravy!!! 7 net carbs is based on 6 servings of two biscuits each with gravy. The biscuits have only one net carb each. The gravy is where the remaining carbs are. I bought the low carb biscuit mix over the internet. It is called "Dixie Carb Counters Country Biscuits." These were awesome! I'm not posting the recipe as its written on the package. This mix and many more are available on Amazon.com but can probably be found elsewhere for cheaper. Just go to Amazon and search for "Dixie Carb Counters". For the gravy, at first I tried to make the gravy using Carbquik. I didn't like it so, I dumped it and started over. The gravy recipe below tastes great. It uses normal white flour. The carbs are acceptable since they are paired with biscuits that have so few carbs. However, it's still fewer carbs than normal white gravy because I used "Hood calorie countdown dairy beverage" instead of milk.

Serves 6

Gravy Ingredients:
1/2 tube breakfast sausage
3 T. flour
2 T. whipping cream
2 c. Hood calorie countdown dairy beverage (low-carb milk).
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Cook sausage on medium in skillet. Remove browned sausage, reserving 3 or 4 tablespoons of the grease. On Medium, add flour to grease and cook until thick and bubbly. Whisk in cream and Hood dairy beverage. Add cooked sausage. Heat on low until thick. If too thick, add more Hood to thin.

4 comments:

Big Daddy D said...

I learn by experimentation. You can learn from my mistakes. Since posting this, I tried using soy flour instead of white flour. The soy flour didn't thicken at all. I had to remove the gravy from the pan, make a new rue with oil and white flour and re-add the gravy. Next time, I'm going to try vital wheat gluten....

Anonymous said...

Did you try the vital wheat glutan?

Tim & Tamara said...

I made white gravy with coconut flour and heavy cream recently, adding sausage and onions. It wasn't too bad. It thickened up well, though I would say it was slightly gritty on the palate. Good overall though.

Anonymous said...

i have used a soy flour that has thickend the gravy to at least my standards. The flour is Bob's Red Mill organic stone ground whole grain soy flour. It is a bit gritty with the texture but the taste is very very good.