The media is full of half-truth stories about the negative side effects of ketogenic diets such as Atkins and the Protein Power Plan. I'm sure that you've heard many of the skeptical claims. So, I will not go into them here. But did you know that there are numerous potential positive side effects of this diet? Not only does this diet cause you to lose weight and potentially lower your cholesterol, but it also might be useful for the following:
- Muscle growth - high protein promotes muscle growth.
- Diabetes - ketogenic diets can be used to treat diabetes.
- Cancer treatment* - a ketogenic state could decrease glucose availability to certain tumors, thereby impairing tumor metabolism without adversely affecting the patient's overall nutritional status.
- Epilepsy and seizure control** - helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy.
- Alzheimer's disease*** - Preliminary studies demonstrated the unexpected result that a brief treatment with a low carbohydrate/high saturated fat diet reduced total Aβ levels in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease.