Friday, October 13, 2006

First Experiment with Carbquik (made from Carbalose)

I recently bought some carbquik over the internet. This stuff is supposed to be like bisquik but with 90% fewer carbs. It's made out of something called carbalose which is made from wheat but doesn't contain the non-fiber carbs that flour does. While you've been able to buy carbquik for a while, the main ingredient carbalose was not available directly to the public. But now it is. So, I'm ordering a bag and will post my experiments once it arrives. The following link is to a website full of carbquik recipes, http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/recipe.php. If you try any of these, please post comments or send me an e-mail with your results!

I opened my first box of carbquik today and tested it out. This product was quick and easy to use. My first experiment was a "quik" lunch pizza. I work from home but only had one hour for lunch between conference calls. So, the challenge was to mix the dough, shred the cheese, and bake a pizza while leaving enough time to eat. No problem. The back of the box had a recipe for a white pizza. I didn't have all of the right ingredients so I just took the instructions on preparing the dough then topped it with what I had in the fridge: left over spaghetti sauce, Colby-jack cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, chopped garlic, and Parmesan cheese. It took me about 15 minutes to prepare the pizza and another 15 minutes for it to cook. This left 30 minutes to enjoy my meal.

The result was an okay pizza. I'd say its better than the typical freezer pizza but not as good as most take-out. The important thing is that I had a pizza! This crust was similar to that of a bisquik pizza. You know how bisquik has a unique, indescribable flavor. Well, so did the carbquik, but slightly different. It wasn't bad. It was good but not great. But, it has potential. I plan to continue experimenting. I think that Saturday I may make pancakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pancakes were good but greasy. You will see that the recipe calls for a large amount of butter. I think this can be reduced some, or at least substitue a healthier fat like olive oil or smart balance.
I also have been experimenting with just carbalose itself (as opposed to carbquick. I find baked goods to cook faster with carbalose than if I used regular flour. I also find I have to adjust the levening such as baking powder and/or baking soda to a bit more as I also have to do with fat content. The high fiber content of carbalose make for a drier baked product.