Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Take a Break from Your Diet

I know that I will be on this diet for six to nine months. As such, I thought it would be much easier if I allowed myself two days off each month. Yesterday was my birthday and a designated diet vacation! I indulged in Crispy Cream doughnuts, french fries, Mellow Mushroom pizza, birthday cake, and ice cream. Whatever nutrients I have been missing are hopefully replenished. I didn't "fall off the wagon". This was planned. Planning for days off, I think, is key to sticking with a diet for the long haul.

1 comment:

PJ at TDLC said...

This post really surprised me. I suppose I'm thinking, this was mid september, and maybe you have changed perspective by now with more lowcarb experience. Like:

"I know that I will be on this diet for six to nine months."

So to you it's a diet and not an eating plan. What happens when you go off it? You regain the weight you began with?

"As such, I thought it would be much easier if I allowed myself two days off each month."

Well first, you can't do it in a way that it puts you out of ketosis, or you'll be VERY miserable. Second, even if you don't, if you eat high carb foods, you're likely to (a) get an instant water gain and (b) have 'cravings' to some degree for carbs based on that. Third, as long as you think of lowcarb eating as a diet or fake food or whatever, something that is temporary or abnormal, your psychology is going to feel like it's a prison you need to be free of. I recommend learning to make most of the foods you love, or something close, so if you really want cranberry sauce, eggnog, and chocolate cake, you can have it -- without utterly blowing your body's momentum and keto state.

"I indulged in Crispy Cream doughnuts, french fries, Mellow Mushroom pizza, birthday cake, and ice cream. Whatever nutrients I have been missing are hopefully replenished. I didn't "fall off the wagon". This was planned. Planning for days off, I think, is key to sticking with a diet for the long haul."

I have another perspective on that. I think planning to create a lowcarb cooking ability that matches your palate needs, is the key to sticking with it forever.

Btw there are even lowcarb funnel cakes, believe it or not. ;-)