Monday, August 21, 2006

Previous Diets

Years ago, I tried the low calorie and low fat diets. They made me dizzy, sleepy, and hungry with very little weight loss. In 1999, I began logging what I ate. After a few months, I had enough data to analyze. I then begun studying various diets. I identified the low-carb diet as the one with the greatest potential for weight loss and personal satisfaction. I began the diet on January 1, 2000. This was before low-carb was trendy. Hardly anybody seemed to know anything about this method of weight loss. In restaurants, I found myself constantly explaining to waiters and waitresses that I could not eat bread. They often would ask if there was anything wrong with the food I sat aside and sometimes actually brought me more, thinking that there was something wrong with what I already had. Today, things have changed. Low-carb is hot! Everybody is trying it. There are now low-carb menus in restaurants, low-carb tortillas, low-carb ice cream, low-carb everything! This should make my 2006 diet much easier to follow than my 2000 diet.

It is interesting that this diet has become so popular. I've noticed that as the popularity grew, many people who think that they are on a low-carb diet are not doing it right. Low-carb diets do not work if you just cut back a little. It is not like counting calories. You have to cut back to the point where it affects your insulin levels. But, at the same time, you have to have a little to stay healthy. From past experience and the use of Ketostix (pee test for weight loss), I have found that I lose weight as long as I stay below 45 net grams a day. I usually try at least consume 30 grams.

The last time that I lost a large amount of weight, I did so to make it easier to get dates. It was motivated primarily from selfish, superficial desires. This time is different. I'm beginning to feel very heavy. The weight is making it harder to do physical work. My back is giving me trouble. And, my muscles get sore more easily. Plus, I now have a four month old son. I want to be around to see him grow up. I want to be able to take him hiking and play games with him when he is older. So, I am not only doing it for myself, I am doing it for my child. Six years ago, I lost 45 pounds and kept it off for about two years. This time, I need to lose 100 pounds. This blog is part of my internal means to get psyched up and to form an obsession with weight loss. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.