Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Fried Chicken - 1 net carb per serving!

Tonight's dinner was fried chicken with sides of cheesy cauliflower and sliced home-grown tomatoes. The total carbs was about 10 grams. Believe it or not, my fried chicken has less than 1 carb per serving! The other 9 carbs came from the side items. And, it tastes so great that non-dieters will beg you for the recipe. The secret is using crushed pork rinds as the breading. If you want to turn the heat up a notch, try using hot and spicy pork rinds instead. I know what you are thinking, "pork rinds, cream, deep fried; this is a heart attack waiting to happen." Well, all of the nutrition rules that we grew up with are being turned upside down. This diet is said by many experts to actually lower cholesterol. So, relax and enjoy!

Fried Chicken to Die For
Makes 4-8 servings.

Ingredients*
4-8 Pieces of Chicken
Salt
Pepper
1/4 c. Heavy Whipping Cream
2 eggs' whites (no yokes)
1-2 T. Tabasco sauce
1/2 - 1 bag of crushed pork-rinds
Oil or Lard (lard preferred)

Instructions:
Heat oil to about 370 degrees. You can fry this chicken in a pan, but I prefer a deep fryer. Thaw and pat dry chicken with paper towel. Rub salt and pepper into chicken. In bowl, mix or whisk heavy whipping cream, egg whites, and Tabasco sauce. In second dish, finely crush pork rinds. Dip chicken into liquid mixture then into the pork rinds. You may have to pat or press the pork rinds a bit to insure they stick to the chicken. Next, place in oil and cook for 9 or 10 minutes. If pan frying, turn chicken half way through. If you are using a small deap frier, don't overfill, cook 2 or 3 pieces at a time. Enjoy!

*t. = teaspoon, T = tablespoon, c. = cup.

11 comments:

Jason said...

I can personally vouch for this recipe it also works well on zucchini sticks and mozzarella sticks. Yummy!

Big Daddy D said...

I'm going to have to try this on the zucchini. We're growing it in the garden this summer and my fridge is packed. Fried zucchini is one of my typical summer treats... normally we make the batter out of flour, cornmeal, and beer. A low carb alternative would be a real welcome. Thanks Jason.

Bryant Raiford said...

Howdy Big Daddy D. Nice recipe! I didn't have any heavy cream lying around, so I substituted Buttermilk Ranch salad dressing. Worked a treat! I tried it again, with the cream, and the taste was just a hair different, but just as good.

Free Spirit said...

Hello Big Daddy :) I too have made this recipe and in fact did it a little while ago as I've been craving fried chicken. The recipe is a little different, but very good. I took four chicken breasts, cut them into strips, slathered them with mayo, and then used the spicy pork rinds. Fried them a couple of minutes on both sides in butter and oil. Came out delicious! Now I will have chicken all week in my lunches at work.
Thanks for the blog.

Clarence said...

I followed this recipe and served this chicken for my family. I also made mashed cauliflower for me and the wife. The kids loved it. Rarely they ever asked for seconds at dinner time. This recipe is a keeper.

insanityisnotanoption.com said...

Just found your blog and am SOOOO stoked! My husband has entered the low-carb world and this has not been an easy transition for me with my love of cooking! So in looking for fried chicken recipes, I came across your blog and the mecca of recipes. Thanks so much! Now a devoted follower!

Christy Lee said...

I stumbled upon your blog while searching for a low carb fried chicken recipe and am stoked. We have recently entered the low-carb world and it has been incredibly trying for me as I have a deep love of cooking. I am now a devoted follower. Thanks for this mecca of information. YOU ROCK!

Jeremy Choate said...

Hello everybody! This recipe was the bomb!! My chicken breasts were a little thick, though, and it left it tougher than I like.

So, on my second attempt, I cut the chicken, across the grain, into strips and egg washed, breaded, and deep-fried the strips for four minutes.

After they drained, I coated them in buffalo sauce (equal parts butter and Frank's Red Hot Sauce).

PERFECT!!!

Anonymous said...

Simply delicious! I would make even if not on a low carb diet. YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely cannot believe how great this tastes. I just started my low carb diet today and was looking for what I could do with this chicken besides bake it. I only cooked two pieces at first to see if I would like it, well needless to say I cooked the entire family pack of tenders.

I tastes better than the regular fried chicken. The pork rinds really crisp up. I can't wait to share this with my friends.

Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I made this chicken for dinner and it was awesome! I had mashed cauliflower as one of my side dishes. I also cooked up some spinach with a touch of garlic in the same pan as the chicken. Totally delicious. I liked it better than KFC.